When did you?

RF30 Taiwan made is perfect for everything I do. I have the power feed and use ER25 collets for toolholding (ER40 would be too large IMO)
I added a 3phase and VFD to eliminate belt changes a few years ago for $100 including the 1HP motor. DRO's on all 3-axis.

I have never owned a mill/drill but have had several friends that have. Frustration of projects being ruined and the difficulty in setting up the machines moved all of them to knee mills. Each one has said they would have purchased the knee mill to begin with had they had know how much of a difference it makes. Yes they were able to do projects but often found themselves putting off the work or trying to find work-a-rounds if they could when the round post mills had to be used.

Two of my friends sold off their original round post mills along with 99% of all the tooling holders and collets as they did not work on the knee at a loss. The other one uses it as a fancy drill press now, but not often. If for no other reason other than he won't sell it for the loss he would take. It mostly has a lot of tools and other stuff that ends up all over the bed. A fancy table, and for a while it made it easy for him to mount his reloading press with the T-slots.

I don't really think you save anything by buying the mill/drills in the long run. I can understand that it can be easier to start out with one as the initial cost is lower and you can think of the selling and buying of upgrades and eventually a knee mill as payments over time when there was insufficient budget to do anything else.

Bottom line, you do what you can. A Mill/Drill is better than no mill at all. I have turned a cheap bench top drill press into a so called mill because that is what I had and could afford at the time. It didn't work well at all, but I was able to get the job done, not pretty. I have been lucky that for most of the time, I have worked at companies that had knee mills that allowed me to do a project now and then on their mill. I always replaced anything that I broke and was too often the only one that actually maintenance them.

Last edited:
I have worked at companies that had knee mills that allowed me to do a project now and then on
I think that's what started all this. For a very short time, we had a big Lagun in our shop. It gave me a new perspective, after using it one time, that pretty much changed everything.

I started off with the red mini lathe and the X2 mill. I got my money's worth from them in output and learning; but in about 2 years I stopped having fun and drifted towards frustration. To be fair - I didn't want to make things within their capacity and didn't have the room for full size mill. I upgraded the lathe (Logan 200) and learned even more about what I "like/dislike" in a lathe. Things that 5 years ago I never would have imagined (I am a slow mechanical learner....)

I bought a Harbor Freight mini mill from a friend of mine. He used it so little that it still had the cosmoline on parts of it.

When did I decide I needed a different one? About 20 minutes later. LOL. Ended up buying a PM 833T which is ok. Would also like to have a CNC mill but I only have so much time and money.

I got a Grizzly G0759 (like the g0704 but with the factory DRO) as a wedding gift from my best man. At the time my "shop" was about the size of a broom closet so it made sense for many reasons.

I brought it with me when I bought a house and upgraded to a single car garage. I have a bit more room now but not much and I've come to realize how much I value the drill press capabilities of the little Griz in addition to being able to mill small parts.

I have hit the work envelope many times (especially z) and it do have to go very slow. My problem was that anything much stiffer is going to be much bigger.

Then, I just a couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a Delta Rockwell 21-100 on Craig's List. I knew this and the Clausing 8520 are the smallest knee mills around and bothare in high demand so I snapped it up even though it needs some work. I plan to add a vfd and DRO. Time will tell if it is worth the extra space.

I bought a 6x26 Enco bench knee mill when I lived in a townhouse. The only place I could fit it was in the attic directly over the bed in the master bedroom. I dropped 2x8s down from the rafters to help hold up the bench it sat on. Lived there for 7 years, and it always made my wife and me bit nervous. Could have been worse though - I heard of a guy who put a Bridgeport in his basement that was taller than the basement ceiling. He made his wife a nice island in the kitchen.

I digress though. I used the Enco mill for 25 years, and moved it to new homes three times. The lack of rigidity didn't bother me much since I only did drilling and light milling with it. The big problem was the lack of distance between the spindle and table. With any decent vise on it, clearance was very limited. I had to try to get by with a collet set (by 32nds) when drilling, since using an adapter and chuck was not possible. I decided earlier this year to bite the bullet and get a Bridgeport. Should have done it when I moved from the townhouse. I have covered both mills in other posts in these forums. Here are a couple of pics though.

Attachments

• Enco 6x26 mill.JPG
    Enco 6x26 mill.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Bridgeport2.JPG
    Bridgeport2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
25 years?!! That's really something. Although according to many, that Enco would be a step up from my current machine.
I wish I could think of something that needed light milling. I seem to only get milling projects of the almost too big variety.

I started with an Atlas 12 x 36 lathe and bought a Grizzly round-column mill not really understanding the knee vs. column difference. I quickly discovered the difference after moving the head. My work around for losing the table position was a series of edge finders with different length rods in 5" increments. I recall having 5", 10" and 15" extensions and dedicated edge finders mounted in each.

In use, I had a square block attached to the table for referencing. I'd edge find the far side and near side to compensate for runout in my edge finder extensions and split the difference for zero. Was a PITA but did work. That was my REALLY poor man's ABSolute coordinate system. I'd move to the work and edge find again, wrote down the number and direction of the handwheel turn, then re-zero'd. That was my INCremental setting. On the plus side, the round-column mill forced me to plan projects out much better than I do now (minimize head moves).

About 2 years later a used Jet JVM-830 small knee mill showed up about 15 miles away and I was a new owner. I'd really HATE to go back to a round column mill after using a knee mill.

Bruce

Back