When is this gonna END??

Just got a call from my best friend Chris. We recently lost another friend to cancer and Chris inherited some of his stuff. Now Chris is losing the house I first rented in '74 and he has lived in since '76. Needless to say he has accumulated a lot of stuff. I will be inheriting an oxy-acetylene torch set with bottles, welding table with 1/2 x 34 x 41 blanchard ground top, 2 large steel sawhorses, a(nother) 4x6 saw, a lifetime accumulation of fasteners and fittings, and God only knows what else. Even when you can't afford to buy the stuff just keeps coming, and I'm just a boy who can't say no.

How are the insurance companies in CA handling Oxy/Acetylene equipment if it's in the garage/shop?

How are the insurance companies in CA handling Oxy/Acetylene equipment if it's in the garage/shop?

I haven't asked. They've just doubled my HO insurance because I live in a rural, fire-prone area. They probably would have cancelled me, but the state instituted a 1 year moratorium on cancellations. They're probably hoping we'll self cancel.

Mr. Whoopee, I am very sad to hear those bstrds did that to you.
Insurance companies are taking advantage of homeowners living in the fire zones.
Do you think you will be able to find coverage?
What are your neighbors doing?

I haven't asked. They've just doubled my HO insurance because I live in a rural, fire-prone area. They probably would have cancelled me, but the state instituted a 1 year moratorium on cancellations. They're probably hoping we'll self cancel.
Many people in Paradise on fixed incomes cancelled their insurance.
You have a free and clear home you have lived in for 40 years, you are retired and money is tight. What could happen?

Mr. Whoopee, I am very sad to hear those bstrds did that to you.
Insurance companies are taking advantage of homeowners living in the fire zones.
Do you think you will be able to find coverage?
What are your neighbors doing?

I'm hearing that Farmer's is still writing policies. And there is always Cal Fair, insurer of last resort. The numbers I've been hearing are just about what I'm paying now, a little over $4k/yr.

I'm in that situation, home is paid for and it's all I have. Can't afford to be uninsured.

Sometimes I try to imagine the shop on fire. Oxygen tanks, acetylene, inert gasses, several pounds of reloading powder, propane tanks, my wife’s car with a full tank, thousands of rounds of ammunition, black powder.
When I got home to pick up my wife, it was 9:00 AM, it was pitch dark, gusty winds, explosions very close, burning embers in the wind with extremely dry fuel. Leaving my home of 34 years, I locked the door. That was silly.
It didn’t stop the fire.

Farmer's has, IMO, over the years been pretty decent.
Back in the '90s there was major flooding of the DuPage river in the far southwest suburbs of Chicago.
My Buddie's house with a full basement, was moved off it's foundation by 18".
He had State Farm and thought he was fully covered. Nope. They didn't pay out anything. Total loss.
We went down to help him immediately after and Farmers was there in a BA motor home cutting checks to their customers, right there on the spot.
His agent claimed that my Buddy never request 'water' coverage.
Two years of legal wrangling and no joy. The company holding the mortgage didn't even offer any assistance.

A couple of years later - I moved into my new house I had a similar run in with State Farm.
The company that came out to install a new water softener had unplugged our sumps and flooded the crawlspace and damaged all the stuff in there.
They claimed ignorance and State Farm said no coverage on such an occurrence.
One round with the lawyers and a couple of grand and I gave up. . .
Switched to Farmers after that.

Farmer's has, IMO, over the years been pretty decent.
Back in the '90s there was major flooding of the DuPage river in the far southwest suburbs of Chicago.
My Buddie's house with a full basement, was moved off it's foundation by 18".
He had State Farm and thought he was fully covered. Nope. They didn't pay out anything. Total loss.
We went down to help him immediately after and Farmers was there in a BA motor home cutting checks to their customers, right there on the spot.
His agent claimed that my Buddy never request 'water' coverage.
Two years of legal wrangling and no joy. The company holding the mortgage didn't even offer any assistance.

A couple of years later - I moved into my new house I had a similar run in with State Farm.
The company that came out to install a new water softener had unplugged our sumps and flooded the crawlspace and damaged all the stuff in there.
They claimed ignorance and State Farm said no coverage on such an occurrence.
One round with the lawyers and a couple of grand and I gave up. . .
Switched to Farmers after that.
It was interesting to watch how all the big name insurance companies handled or did not handle their clients losses.
Of our four closest neighbors we have known for decades, we watched them struggle through the process where my wife and I received policy limits checks within two weeks of the loss. On top of that, we kept thinking of items left in dwelling B coverage like our spa for example. We purchased a new spa a few months ago. My wife asked, I wonder if our insurance will pick up the $7,200 for it? I contacted our agent, I was asked if we could prove we had a spa at the property? I said I had records but they were lost in the fire. I contacted the contractor who built the spa into our back deck. He wrote a letter to the agent. Two weeks later we had a check for $7,600. More than we asked. She said it was for installation and taxes. This is another example of finding the right company.
Back to our neighbors, Nationwide, AAA, Geico and Mercury were represented.
Jetti, who is a widow and is in her mid 80's had AAA. She is still fighting with them, she has not received full payment and is building a new home in another city. They had her in a small hotel for 9 months. She had to go out for every meal, finally she moved in with her daughter in Seattle. We were put up in an apartment until we purchased a home.
No fault to Mercury, one of our neighbors was way under insured. We assume our agents provide enough coverage? When there is no mortgage and you are shopping for a low bid = watch out. Get informed.
The other two finally got their policy limits but it took months.
We have Horace Mann. Insurance for Educators. They were fantastic!

And double check your agent. That's where my Buddy got screwed over. He physically stopped in the person's office long before the flood, and told them what he wanted. Agent did not put his requests in. . . :concerned:

Messing with widow in her 80s? *GADS*. . .
It was interesting to watch how all the big name insurance companies handled or did not handle their clients losses.
Of our four closest neighbors we have known for decades, we watched them struggle through the process where my wife and I received policy limits checks within two weeks of the loss. On top of that, we kept thinking of items left in dwelling B coverage like our spa for example. We purchased a new spa a few months ago. My wife asked, I wonder if our insurance will pick up the $7,200 for it? I contacted our agent, I was asked if we could prove we had a spa at the property? I said I had records but they were lost in the fire. I contacted the contractor who built the spa into our back deck. He wrote a letter to the agent. Two weeks later we had a check for $7,600. More than we asked. She said it was for installation and taxes. This is another example of finding the right company.
Back to our neighbors, Nationwide, AAA, Geico and Mercury were represented.
Jetti, who is a widow and is in her mid 80's had AAA. She is still fighting with them, she has not received full payment and is building a new home in another city. They had her in a small hotel for 9 months. She had to go out for every meal, finally she moved in with her daughter in Seattle. We were put up in an apartment until we purchased a home.
No fault to Mercury, one of our neighbors was way under insured. We assume our agents provide enough coverage? When there is no mortgage and you are shopping for a low bid = watch out. Get informed.
The other two finally got their policy limits but it took months.
We have Horace Mann. Insurance for Educators. They were fantastic!

Back