Where is Sue?

Thanks guys for your support.
Since I have to take my very elderly aunt to out annual Christmas get-together at her favorite Korean restaurant tomorrow, I was forced to get around to removing an awesome very antique drill in my car (so i can put one seat back up for 3 people to fit) that I picked up from a woman who sold it to me for $20.
I should have posted this pic along with the Sanfird SG48 surface grinder , but I forgot until now. Here it is:

20210902_084813.jpg
I took this pic before got a chance to clean up the mess.
Anyways, the seller told me it belonged to her now deceased husband, and she just wanted to get rid of it.
The leather belt is stretched out, and too loose, and the old motor needs rewiring.
Really, this is my last tool purchase

Susan, Sorry to hear about family, Lost my sis last year. On the back, I have one of the spinal stimulators, mine is implanted with a controller and Battery (supposed to work for 10 years) so no external wires. It has helped a lot but does not do anything for other parts of my back, which the wife does not understand. The oblation did not work on me, Crashed on their table twice. So the stimulator was one of the last options, And is better than the epidural pain injections into my spine. So hope you do good with yours.
Shops are always a work in progress, especially if you like tools. Wait a min I think that is about all of us.

EDIT: So sorry, Susan, wrong thread…supposed to be in What did you buy today. Duh.

Two recent purchases, the first almost doubled my Kwik Switch 200 mill tooling system, adding holders for MT3 and MT1, shell mills, 5/8” shank tools, the 1/2” Acura-Flex collet system, and more chucks, for which there is no natural upper limit. I preload every tool I can anticipate per job and keep some standard tools always mounted, like edge finder, tap guide, 1/2” and 3/4” carbide end mills, and a dial indicator on a Noga arm with 3/8” shank…now THAT is handy. Thanks to one of our members for the deal.

Second, a set of module 1.5 gear cutters. 8 cutters cover the range from small gears, 12 teeth, maybe, and up to linear racks. I will make a surprisingly missing 62 tooth change gear, will report results. I had to make a 22mm arbor with key for the cutters.

.4FCD1059-8399-4D8C-9E5A-7ECECB02BF3C.jpeg2A550D46-8169-4BB7-A49D-542A3735D4E4.jpeg

Susan, Sorry to hear about family, Lost my sis last year. On the back, I have one of the spinal stimulators, mine is implanted with a controller and Battery (supposed to work for 10 years) so no external wires. It has helped a lot but does not do anything for other parts of my back, which the wife does not understand. The oblation did not work on me, Crashed on their table twice. So the stimulator was one of the last options, And is better than the epidural pain injections into my spine. So hope you do good with yours.
Shops are always a work in progress, especially if you like tools. Wait a min I think that is about all

Thanks guys for your support.
Since I have to take my very elderly aunt to out annual Christmas get-together at her favorite Korean restaurant tomorrow, I was forced to get around to removing an awesome very antique drill in my car (so i can put one seat back up for 3 people to fit) that I picked up from a woman who sold it to me for $20.
I should have posted this pic along with the Sanfird SG48 surface grinder , but I forgot until now. Here it is:

View attachment 389514
I took this pic before got a chance to clean up the mess.
Anyways, the seller told me it belonged to her now deceased husband, and she just wanted to get rid of it.
The leather belt is stretched out, and too loose, and the old motor needs rewiring.
Really, this is my last tool purchase
Btw guys, I normally would never buy any drill whose table has any drill holes, but I made an exception for this one. Here is a pic of the holes.
20211222_221355.jpg
Is it possible to somehow fill the holes where it is not obvious, or would it be better left as is?

Btw guys, I normally would never buy any drill whose table has any drill holes, but I made an exception for this one. Here is a pic of the holes.
View attachment 389595
Is it possible to somehow fill the holes where it is not obvious, or would it be better left as is?
JB Weld, or lead.
After you clean up the table with EvapoRust, a wire wheel, or a sander/grinder.

At least it's not too bad; I'd call that a "small constellation of shame" rather than an "arc of shame".

Jeff, has it right! There are a couple examples here of good repair jobs on tables much worse than that.
I will post back with links if I find them.....

Brian

Make some metal table filler.

Start with good SLOW cure epoxy, mix a test batch and test to see if it can be thinned with alcohol or acetone.

Visit the table your Crider is on and scrape up the grinding bits.

Dump in alcohol and stirr to clean then use magnet to get just the steel and iron.

You need enough to over fill each hole.

Get the hole to be done very clean, wire wheel, solvent maybe some naval jelly, some rust may be okay but no oil or other stuff.

Place packing tape over hole and cover a few inches in all directions.

Cut out tape above hole.

Now fun part, mix small batch of epoxy, enough to fill one hole, use bowl shaped object.

With tooth pick take some and paint the hole with a little bit, scrap it in to make sure all surfaces coated.

Next add cleaned grinder steel to epoxy along with a little bit of above thinning solvent.

Mix well to insure well coated.

Fill hole with mixture, use screwdriver to pack it in and keep working it to get as much steel in as possible.

When you think it is full make sure the epoxy is coating everything well and a bit taller than the table.

Let cure for a week.

With sanding pad in 90 degree die grinder you can carefully dress where it is high.

Switch to file when close, the tape will act as protector of table and spacer.

When you get even with tape remove tape and carefully use file to bring it down.

Will be almost same color and the steel will make it very strong against pressure.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back