Where is the Cross Slide Lock on PM-1660TL?

Here is how I maintained my cross slide lock and carriage lock on my 12x36 after DRO install. Custom lock levers were fabricated and aluminum spacers lift the DRO off to give enough room.

1610375494185.png

1610375520595.png

My 16 x 80 Summit and Hardinge HLV have no cross slide or compound locks. If you take the slack out of the lead screws nothing should move.

Greg

I have a 11" South Bend lathe and the cross slide only has gib adjusting screws. When would you use a cross slide lock?

Thanks
Roger L

The first time that it came up for me was as described at the very end of Post #9 above. New A6 carbide insert, 380 RPM, 2.70” outer diameter.

Last edited:
the 4 bolts on top hold the cross slide nut. My guess that the screw in the middle is for one or both of the following things: a) allows you to lube the cross slide nut and screw (handy), b) forces apart a split cross slide nut to take up backlash in the cross slide (also handy). Some experimenting should tell you the answer.

the 4 bolts on top hold the cross slide nut. My guess that the screw in the middle is for one or both of the following things: a) allows you to lube the cross slide nut and screw (handy), b) forces apart a split cross slide nut to take up backlash in the cross slide (also handy). Some experimenting should tell you the answer.
b) is correct, according to the manual, pg 31.

Tom

I use mag scales and they do not cover the top slide lock.

My PM1440 has the gib screws covered by the DRO scale so I made a lock for the head stock side. Just a block attached to the follow rest holes and a large brass screw that bares against the cross slide. The disadvantage of this design is if the chuck has the jaws sticking out far enough a collision is possible. I made a stop for the bed to prevent that when using the lock. Since it only takes two cap screws to install/remove I only use the lock when I feel the need. There is probably a better solution that leaves a lock in place.

Back