Where to buy a 1-1/2" pipe tap?

I will give Tried and True in Fridley MN a call/visit tomorrow (if they are open) there is a possibility they have one.
If they have one in reasonable condition, and a price that seems right, would you like me to purchase it for you and mail it?

Daryl
MN

Sounds like a good reason/excuse to me to go there! :rofl: It's been a few years since I've been there.

I can loan you what you need.
Need your ship to address and a good phone number.
You need to include postage USPS flat rate $6.00 for me to ship to you.
How long will you need it?
You can Email me.
Robbie

Well, that pretty much shoots down my excuse to go to Tried and True.
Guess I gotta thanks you for that stress reliever!
Argghhh...
;)

Daryl
MN

I can loan you what you need.
Need your ship to address and a good phone number.
You need to include postage USPS flat rate $6.00 for me to ship to you.
How long will you need it?
You can Email me.
Robbie

I bought one on ebay a couple of years ago for $20.00. You can buy them new from MSC or other machine tool dealers but you can often find them on ebay for a fraction of new price. You might also try Craig's list. good luck.

Well, that pretty much shoots down my excuse to go to Tried and True.
Guess I gotta thanks you for that stress reliever!
Argghhh...
;)

Daryl
MN

Daryl

Did you go anyway? :LOL:

I just remembered that I have some of those large taps too. I don't know how sharp they are. They've been sitting in a bucket of oil since I got them from my dad. I think they're a bit rusty. One of these days, I'll have to clean them up.

Hi Guys and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a temporary need for a 1-1/2" pipe tap and I'd like to know where to get one. I only need to get 4 uses out of it and don't imagine needing it ever again. Therefore, I need it as cheaply as possible without getting so cheap that it's not useable. Any suggestions?

Harvey

You are in Houston which should help. Oil field repair and machine shops all have larger pipe taps. Up to 2" is standard. Find a smaller shop local to you. A case of beer will usually get you some special service. You might find a source for drops of 4140 material as well. Get to know the shop foreman in a few of these places.

Thanks. I was able to borrow a tap from a local fab shop.

Harvey

Good for you Harvey. I hope you made a few new friends also. That is great news!

Back