Where To Buy Cast Iron?

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I need to make a back plate for a 4" chuck, and i'd like to make it myself out of some Dura-Bar G2, or 65-45-12, but i can't find any place that sells it.

Anyone know where i can by Dura-Bar round stock by the inch?

I've seen some back plates turned from weight lifting plates.

I was pleased with the gray iron discs I got from Speedy Metals. I used one for 4 inch chuck mounting, others for fixture plates on arbor presses.

Not sure if this would be good enough but Speedy Metals sells class 40 grey cast iron bar by the inch:

https://www.speedymetals.com/c-8388-round.aspx
Dura-Bar is a brand name. Looking at the composition the only difference is that the Speedy product has a bit less manganese. The tensile strength and hardness match. I bought some from them last year and was pleased with the quality and service. If you are in the upper Midwest be sure and ask about shipping via Speed-Dee Delivery Service. Much cheaper and faster than UPS.

John Is correct Dura-Bar G2 falls into the same grouping as class 40. If memory serves, the extra manganese increases machinability & yield strength. 65-45-12 has an even higher machinability rating, but sacrifices some hardness.

The class 40 form speedy metals is my fallback if I can't find any Dura-Bar.

I briefly thought about the weight plates, but form everything i've read it seems to be a crap shoot. Some people get good iron, and others get complete crap with all kinds of inclusions.

don't know if it meets your specs or price point, but you can certainly get short cast iron rods from McMaster Carr.

don't know if it meets your specs or price point, but you can certainly get short cast iron rods from McMaster Carr.

That's actually the first place I looked. It's the right spec, but I either have to buy a 12" length ($100) of 4-1/2" when all I really need is 1-1/2" at most. They sell thin discs as well, but the smallest diameter they carry is 8", so I would spend forever turning it down to roughly 4"

Speedy Metals is my go-to place when I only need a few inches of big diameter round stock. Wish you were closer. I have a piece of cast iron left over from a project.

GG

Back