Where to buy chuck wrench

Iron-Iceberg

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I need a little help here. My 4 jaw chuck uses a female 1/2” wrench. I have searched on line and eBay but all I can find are the male wrenches. Does anyone know where I can get a female wrench?97391898-6276-4181-B0C2-68795A0BE263.jpeg7727FE6B-F026-4BB3-B924-EF5BF8E26A8E.jpeg

Are you sure it's 1/2"? Says 12 on your wrench which sounds like it might be 12mm.

If it is 1/2" Martin makes these. I don't believe they're intended to be chuck keys so you'd have to check if the OD of the drive end will fit into your chuck body (dimensions on the page). Also length of handle if it meets your needs.

Rohm also makes them but not sure where to get them.

I would fabricate one from a 1/2" socket extension. The male end could be cut down to a round which would fit a machined hub and brazed or welded to secure. Even if the size is 12mm, a 1/2" drive would work well. The o.d. could be turned down fit your chuck if necessary. I find that the less expensive extensions are easier to machine than the name brands.

A quick google came up with this on ebay.

Mini-Pro Universal T-Handle Socket 12mm

A quick google came up with this on ebay.

Mini-Pro Universal T-Handle Socket 12mm

Those are just plain ol 6 point sockets. Would need a 12 point socket to work. Female square drive chuck keys are hard to find these days. Most people just end up making them.

Maybe get something like this and weld a deep well 12 point socket to it....

View attachment 288478

I actually use a sliding T-handle with a 10mm square drain plug socket for my spindle cam locks. I was too lazy to make one. :)

They do sell female square drive sockets too if the OP want's to go that route. I'd want something more solid for a chuck wrench though. The sliding T-handle works fine for my cam locks but doesn't feel like it would be good for a chuck, especially if it was a 4-jaw chuck.

Back