Where To Buy Metal

I've been slowly accumulating cutoffs and such from ebay and local machine shops, if I dont have a scrap of appropriate size I can always buy, but I usually do!

Try online metals .com....they're pretty cool....The local machine shops might be cool too ...they will have a scrap bin...call first... its better if you know someone there...some are not very patient

Yeah, 6061dude is my go to seller for anything Aluminum.
I can get it cheaper from him and free shipping also. Can't beat that very often.
He also has Brass at very reasonable prices too.

x2

I have been collecting metals for years, auto salvage yards axel shafts are great steel. if near l.a. there is a place in south elmonte called ips industrial pipe and steel. large selection of alum. ss. and steel good prices if you have to have it. its like going to machinist Costco spend lots on things you don't really need. but hey we still go to Costco. online metals is something I use. grade 5 bolts are good steel 4140 grade 8 also 4140 but a different heat treat. bill

I have 2 local scrapyards. The first in the past few months appears to be changing stock away from salvage items to more of the surplus stock/foreclosures sourced, this is less attractive for model engineering. Second more often than not has already crudely cut or sheared items into small bits, rendering them useless as they are seldom nice size, still flat or straight. In addition they drop the bits in old oil drums on oily ground, not the easiest for sifting. 3 visits there in several months and I'm yet to find a single part to contribute to an intended flame licker build. Next yard would be a several hour round trip.
I had tried machining down some surplus new stainless bolts 22mm to 10mm. Not too successful as it seems the hardness varies in the bolt. there are 6 distinctly harder ridges running down the length in line with the points on the hexagonal bolt head, presumably some sort of manufacturing process issue. The hardness is enough to bounce the cutting tool and ridge the cut. Be sure of what you buy and what or how you repurpose.

Noble Metals in Oak Ridge Tn for locals near Knoxville. They get random surplus from local shops and the labs (Al, stainless, some other metals) and will let you browse and pick - even cut, if you do the cutting. Sell by the pound.

They're a bit sketchy, so keep your wits about you. While they post prices (both buy and sell), they're not above a bit of sharp dealing. I was once offered 41 lb of Al plate, weighed and posted at 2 bucks a pound, for "just a hundred bucks, a real bargain". Cashier just grinned when I pointed out that it was indeed a deal- for them, as it was worth 82 dollars by the weight. Got the posted price.

Yeah, 6061dude is my go to seller for anything Aluminum.
I can get it cheaper from him and free shipping also. Can't beat that very often.
He also has Brass at very reasonable prices too.

He is the Aluminum/Brass "Go to guy." I found him on Ebay 2 years ago. I saw his shop is located Colorado Springs. He buys large quantity's of stock to keep the price down. Now, I just stop in when I need something. .
He is a retired Machinist.
co1859

Last edited:
I have bought aluminum from www.speedymetals.com They have good stock variety and prices are decent. Their shipping can be a bit expensive. Order over phone and you get better shipping rates.
Very good point. Also with Speedy Metals website you can't get shipping rate until you sign in and ready to check out. Several times I've left the sight because 6061dude is just better shipping and raw stock cost plus the web sight is easy to get around in.

I buy drops from a local welding shop. I have also bought on Amazon and eBay. Shipping is not bad on small items, and when you consider the cost and time to drive 20 miles to a metal supplier, shipping is a bargain.

I buy a lot of metal from Metal Supermarket, they have 75 locations around the country and there is one is Phoenix. They sell steel, aluminum, brass in flats, rounds, rectangles and squares
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/store-finder/
Be sure to check out the Drop Room, for discount buys that will keep your mill and lathe fed.
For larger pieces of steel, I go to a local steel supplier, they also have drops. Steel in the bigger sizes are about 1/2 the per pound charge of what Metals Supermarket wants.

I hope this helps,

Mike

Back