Where to find upside down parting holder?

Thanks ...so it just a matter of having a mount that holds the blade perpendicular and verticle as you indicate? Meaning there are no angles to be considered? Why couldn't just a regular parting tool holder be used with the blade mounted upside down then? Thanks

isn't the angle ground into the blade?

My blades are ground at 7° and they sit straight, part very nice.
That blade is definately not at an angle, or am I not seeing something?

You will note that I am using an insert parting tool blade. Different configuration tips can be used such as round or square end as they can be used for grooving as well as parting off.
These type of blades are set straight and all the appropriate relief angles are built into the tip which only needs be set on center.

I built a holder as the only ones that would hold a 32 mm blade would not go high enough. I used a dovetail cutter in a mill to cut slight angles for a wedge effect as the cover strip is tightened down but a straight cutter,(end mill),in the chuck would do the job.

You have said you are thinking about a Multifix toolpost but have not said what you actually have. There is nothing stopping you modifying whatever is to hand, the only proviso's being as stated above with regard to orientation and being able to obtain the correct center height.

If using HSS then you would need to machine the groove in the tool holder at an suitable angle or grind the blade to provide clearance or both.

There are many advantages or running upside down 1st being the tool will be pushed away from the cut if overloaded 2nd and what I love is all those chips curling and falling out of the cut. Well worth the time to sort out. Hope that helps.

I have always wondered why someone would want to part it upside down. The force indeed is to lift the carriage, rather than push into the bed.

It's possible to use an upside down parting blade on a second tool post, without disturbing the cutting tool on the primary tool post.
The parting is done by dialing the cross-slide toward the operator, and the cutting is done by crossfeed away from the operator.
I've done this in order to speed up operations, when there was no quickchange tool option, on weak materials (machinable
stone, actually) where the carriage lift force waen't a problem.

I have a Multifix toolpost coming tomorrow and I will decide if that is what I am going with after I examine it. I still wonder ...cna you just use a parting tool holder and turn the blade upside down?

On my smaller lathe, it has been on my bucket list to try the upside-down from the rear (it has a screw on chuck), but have never got to it. Probably soon I'll be selling my little lathe, assuming my recent purchase works out - and I hope parting woes are behind me!

I'm still quite interested in your experiences - Parting is sure my weakness!

My newly acquired Logan 2555V has an L00 mount which is one of the reasons I bought it ...so running in reverse should not be a problem. I have not even attempted any parting yet ...just watched all the discussions on here and came to the conclusion that it was the way to go.

Back