Where to go for a small welding job

Do you live near a trade school or high school that has a welding program? I take on small jobs like this all the time. I have the person bring in doughnuts for the class and tell him to tip the student that did the work. It builds community support for the institution and the students have the opportunity to work on live projects.
The biggest drawback is sometimes beginning students don't weld so good. Evaluate the quality weld you need. If it is a high stress area, take it to a professional shop.

D

Do you live near a trade school or high school that has a welding program? I take on small jobs like this all the time. I have the person bring in doughnuts for the class and tell him to tip the student that did the work. It builds community support for the institution and the students have the opportunity to work on live projects.
The biggest drawback is sometimes beginning students don't weld so good. Evaluate the quality weld you need. If it is a high stress area, take it to a professional shop.

D
This works as well. Some of the kids at the high school will go on to be professional welders. I took in a front axle to a mower and explained it to the shop teacher, my contribution was a tube of welding sticks I had picked up for $2 at a garage sale.

I got my axle back and it was TIG welded, sand blasted and repainted. A very professional looking job.

My original question was poorly worded. I stepped on some toes, and I apologize for that. I should have been more detailed in my question.
My initial frustration was with the minimum 1-hour charge, not the hourly rate. Their hourly rate is low in my opinion.
Again, sorry for the fuss.

Hi Jon,

No Sweat!
What I saw was your initial, understandable frustration followed by a bunch of mostly reasonable responses.

I enjoyed this thread.
Thanks!

Also, I think I probably owe @JimDawson a cheeseburger for all the great advice and wisdom he has dispensed here over the years!
hamburger.png
.....wait I'll throw in the fries too:
french-fries_1f35f.png

-brino

JP, Can you drill and tap the C channel, Or drill and double nut (one on each side of the channel? Al.

Yes, I have drilled clearance holes in the channel. I just need nuts welded on the channel on top of the holes, just a bead weld on the edge of two facets. The thickness of the channel is not enough for tapping - I would only have about 2 threads. I could accomplish the desired result with a jam nut, but the weld is a nicer solution.

I have had exactly the same job done before and it -no exaggeration- really did take 5 minutes. He located the nut with a through bolt, clamped the nut and did the two welds. Thirty seconds later he moved on to the next nut.

Hi Jon,

No Sweat!
What I saw was your initial, understandable frustration followed by a bunch of mostly reasonable responses.

I enjoyed this thread.
Thanks!

-brino
Yes, I was annoyed when I wrote the first post. The shop had an attitude. Then I come here and (understandably) get more attitude. I had to walk away from the computer or I would have been kicked off H-M by now.

Funny thing - I went back to the shop to ask questions, this time wearing my employer's ID clipped to my pocket plainly visible. My employer leases the building to the welding shop and occasionally gives him work. Suddenly I have a new best buddy anxious to give me helpful advice.

Last edited:
I want to have four 3/4-10 steel nuts welded to the top of a 2 foot long 5" steel C channel. The local welding shop has a minimum charge of 1 hour, and that would be $70. I believe that the job should take 10 minutes.

I am looking for suggestions on how to find a shop that won't rip me off. I don't want to get into welding myself - I don't have time for another hobby.

Check with a Muffler shop or a "back ally" garage. If you lived in my area I would be happy to help. I have folks stop by all the time asking for help. I love the variety. And it's
nice to meet & greet new people.

Yes, I was annoyed when I wrote the first post. The shop had an attitude. Then I come here and (understandably) get more attitude. I had to walk away from the computer or I would have been kicked off H-M by now.

Funny thing - I went back to the shop to ask questions, this time wearing my employer's ID clipped to my pocket plainly visible. My employer leases the building to the welding shop and occasionally gives him work. Suddenly I have a new best buddy anxious to give me helpful advice.
Two thumbs way up, thanks for hanging in there. Like my Okie grandpa said you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. I've had more times than I can count went in some place with a little job and got quoted a price and just remained humble and when it did actually only take a couple of minutes they said go on, I'll catch you next time.

Two thumbs way up, thanks for hanging in there. Like my Okie grandpa said you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. I've had more times than I can count went in some place with a little job and got quoted a price and just remained humble and when it did actually only take a couple of minutes they said go on, I'll catch you next time.

I learned that same approach from my dad. He was a master at making folks feel good about helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back