Where would I find a lathe nose protector

astjp2

Active User
Registered
I am looking for a 2-1/4x8 nose protector. Ebay prices are outrageous! I need it to remove the 5c collet adapter on my lathe before I get it stuck permanently. Thanks Tim

I am looking for a 2-1/4x8 nose protector. Ebay prices are outrageous! I need it to remove the 5c collet adapter on my lathe before I get it stuck permanently. Thanks Tim
They aren't real hard to make. I guess it's just a question of what your time is worth. I personally like making things like that rather than purchasing them. As far as removing the adapter goes, you can tap it out with a bar. They usually have a relief on the back end so even if you dinged up the end of it a little it wouldn't hurt it. You could put a brass end on the bar just in case.

I would make one too, pretty easy.... assuming you have a proper tool & your lathe is setup for threading.

Mr Pete posted a 2 part video on making one.

Oh, looks like he 3d printed one too. Had no idea he got a 3d printer.

Yeah, I dont have the ability to internally thread, my lathe is not even up and running yet. I am still in the process of getting the collet closer installed. This lathe is going to be just used to make bushing and spacers from what I am expecting. I did put on a QCTP but it only has one 3 jaw chuck, I have not found a 4 jaw yet and not sure if I need it with collets for now. Maybe someday I can sell a kidney to get a good DRO...

In that case I was going to suggest getting a 2-1/4 x 8 nut & modify it. But in that size new they're like $40. Considering that, $50 for an original nose protector is not far off priced. Perhaps post a request in the "can you make something for me" section?

Not sure what lathe you have....

Could also find a used adapter or a dog plate like this & turn it down. Would be such a waste though.

A nose protector isn't designed to aid in the removal of a collet adaptor. As the name implies it's to protect the threads on the nose from damage. This is the type of tool used to remove the adaptor.

You slide it through the spindle tube, butt it against the adaptor, then tap it lightly with a dead blow hammer.

I made a similar one out of scraps of aluminum rod. The ID of my spindle tube is slightly over 1 3/8" so I used a short piece of 1 3/8 rod with the end turned down to nest inside the adaptor. The other end is bored and threaded for 1/2" rod (you can use a tap).. I threaded a piece of 1/2" rod (you can use a die) then screwed the 2 pieces together. It doesn't take much force to remove the adaptor from the spindle nose. Just a light tap with a dead blow hammer.

Back