Where would I find a lathe nose protector

For a cheap, easy, non-marring collet knock out bar I used a somewhere near 3' length of pine closet rod. The kind you get at a lumber yard/home repair place to hang clothes on in the closet.
It works perfect on a Southbend heavy 10, just insert it and use like a slide hammer. One moderate tap with the left hand and catch the collet and or collet adapter in the right hand.
It stays leaned up against the cabinet.
Same. Well, mine is an oak dowel, I think 1 1/4". Might make a brass cap for the end, as there is a bit of rattle-room in the 1 3/8" spindle bore. Does its job though.

Good idea. I've been using a 3ft piece of aluminum round bar that I have laying around. I've been meaning to make me one out of a piece of mild steel rod or aluminum tubing & a brass slug for the tip as that's what I have on hand.

I just went a picked me me up a 1-1/4" oak dowel. My spindle bore is just over 1.5" & they had poplar in 1.5" but the oak seemed denser. I like the wood idea, much lighter, cheaper, & I'd rather save the metal for other projects. I think I'll leave one end flat & put a radius on the other end. Thanks!

How hard do you plan to bang the spindle threads before you eventually find the correct thread protector? If you are super careful, you might be able to get away with something quick and easy. I made a thread gauge for my spindle to test some replacement threading gears. I sprayed mold release on it and placed it in a temporary mold. I then warmed everything up with a propane torch and stuffed some melted chips from an HDPE milk jug in. When everything cooled, I unscrewed the finished thread protector. It is quite strong, but it would not withstand a blow from a good sized hammer, or dropping the lathe on the spindle nose. I don't plan to do this, however.

I am looking for a 2-1/4x8 nose protector. Ebay prices are outrageous! I need it to remove the 5c collet adapter on my lathe before I get it stuck permanently. Thanks Tim
Zoro has one for about 21 bucks

On my 10 inch Logan I used a piece of brass that was large enough to tap the adapter out. It was a short piece about 3 inches long. I turned one end down a bit and then threaded it so it would thread into the drawbar. When I am ready to remove the adapter I remove the collet and pull out the drawbar. Then I thread the brass piece into the drawbar and slide it into the spindle. A little tap with my left hand is all it takes to knock the adapter out of the spindle. For the thread protector I just made my own. It was the first thing I ever made with internal threads but I had a good teacher looking over my shoulder too.

FMW fasteners has a 2 1/4 8 nut for $11.97. Grainger has the nut for $16,43.
Zoro has nut for $21 bucks,
Put nut on spindle and turn od and you have your nose protector.
Jimsehr

Back