Which DRO for 833TV

Thanks Dallas, that looks pretty similar to the Sino DRO I was looking at. The price makes this a compelling value proposition as well. Do you happen to know whether it got a feed speed functionality?

Thanks Mark, I found the feed speed function in the ES12 manual. Sounds like you can only choose to have speed or position from a disclaimer but I don't think that matters. The new Accurite DROs look very nice. Didn't know that this is a German brand.

And thanks for the explanation with the locking and the potential nod -- that would clearly defeat a DRO.
accurite was purchased by Heidenhain, but they are still made in Jamestown NY, I believe they are now using the German scales. their manufacturing shop is only about 30 miles from me. Great product, but expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks Dallas, that looks pretty similar to the Sino DRO I was looking at. The price makes this a compelling value proposition as well. Do you happen to know whether it got a feed speed functionality?
when you say speed and feed, do you mean as in a speed and feed calculator, or are you looking for spindle rpm and actual inch per minute rate that your axis moving? it does have the S&F calc, but i'll have to look if it registers feed rate. there is nothing that would provide spindle rpm.

I was looking for the actual feed rate (e.g. in in/min) that the table is moving at.

Thanks for the detail on the acquisition -- I was surprised today to find that they are part of Heidenhain.

I was looking for the actual feed rate (e.g. in in/min) that the table is moving at.

Thanks for the detail on the acquisition -- I was surprised today to find that they are part of Heidenhain.
I just looked at mine, it does not show feed rate. The last Accurite DRO I installed, probably 3 years ago on a friends mill, i had to turn off 10ths so resolution is now .001, when it was set to .0001 the last digit was constantly flickering between 2 digits, super annoying! and I hate to admit it but this cheap china readout is rock solid in .0001 resolution.

The speed function is pretty common in most graphical displays, in the ES-12 B or C it is shown separately at the bottom and you can select any axis. I have not had any issues with digit flicker in any of the DRO's I have installed, typically more common in the generic style ones and they show something like 5 decimal places. It is possible that a glass scale may be more prone to vibration and number flicker, but also depends on the filtering of the VFD. Acu-Rite, Newall, and some of the higher end have better warranties and hold-up better under heavy use, just pricey. My other concern with some of these DRO's is their proprietary scale interfaces, which makes scale replacement very costly.

ES-12B-C speed.jpg

Easson 12C Display.jpg

I bought one of the Chinese 3 axis DRO's with glass scales for my knee mill from Aliexpress a few years ago. Has worked flawlessly. It had the led readout. In the afternoon the sun shines in the window and washed out the display. Got tired of shielding it with my hand to read the numbers so recently bought a LCD display from DRO Pros off Ebay cheap, $150 delivered to Canada. I came wired for magnetic scales, with a note on the order they shipped the plugs for glass scales. I had to swap them out. Worked with my old scales. Checked the accuracy with gauge blocks, pretty much spot on.
For hobby use can't see the advantage of the expensive packages that come from China anyway.

Greg

i had to turn off 10ths so resolution is now .001, when it was set to .0001 the last digit was constantly flickering between 2 digits, super annoying! and I hate to admit it but this cheap china readout is rock solid in .0001 resolution.

Both of my Dro displays have a setting to buffer this vibration induced flicker.

On my Ditron, it's the little sine-wave logo. F5 key in this pic.

I don't remember how to turn it on for the Yihao display on my mill, Its been awhile since I read the Chinglish manual. The mill is smooth enough that it doesn't have that issue anyway. (I think the setting that buffers it is labeled "shake")

Sometimes when turning something off
center, unbalanced, it a heavy interrupted cut, my Ditron will flicker on the last digit. That f5 button fixes it.

Last edited:
I bought one of the Chinese 3 axis DRO's with glass scales for my knee mill from Aliexpress a few years ago. Has worked flawlessly. It had the led readout. In the afternoon the sun shines in the window and washed out the display. Got tired of shielding it with my hand to read the numbers so recently bought a LCD display from DRO Pros off Ebay cheap, $150 delivered to Canada. I came wired for magnetic scales, with a note on the order they shipped the plugs for glass scales. I had to swap them out. Worked with my old scales. Checked the accuracy with gauge blocks, pretty much spot on.
For hobby use can't see the advantage of the expensive packages that come from China anyway.

Greg

I got the same one. It's a Ditron D80 display. Oddly, DRO Pros was blowing out the 2 axis version for 59$. I had to swap in the internal cables for the glass scales, but it's been running like a champ.

I went and verified it in my manuals since my memory isn't so great. On the Ditron, it's the F5 sine wave button that filters the last digit flicker

On my Yihao, it's the one that says "shake".

Last edited:
Back