Which Magnetic Scales

I am using the Mitutoyo KA counter display.
Ah, darn. I was hoping someone figured out how to make them work with TouchDRO.
I'm sure they work spectacularly well with the Mitutoyo display :)

Jim,

Did you have a source for the aluminum rail and stainless tape cover? Or, did you use another mounting method?

Thanks,
Bob

I ordered the tape directly from Ditron
sales@dcoee.com
http://www.dcoee.com/

DMR200 1um Read Heads
MS200-2M 2+2 (2 meters tape)

I don't use the aluminum rail, just direct mount on a flat surface.

Z axis Knee
1620868539274.png

X axis
1620868589727.png

Y axis
1620868663603.png

Quill Z
1620868761403.png

I ordered the tape directly from Ditron
sales@dcoee.com
http://www.dcoee.com/

DMR200 1um Read Heads
MS200-2M 2+2 (2 meters tape)

I don't use the aluminum rail, just direct mount on a flat surface.

Z axis Knee
View attachment 365691

X axis
View attachment 365694

Y axis
View attachment 365696

Quill Z
View attachment 365697
Wow, it's amazing that they stay accurate with all the chips!
Thanks for the pics and the info. I just might have to give it a try.

I'm guessing the magnetic tape has adhesive on it?

Bob

I'm guessing the magnetic tape has adhesive on it?

Yes, 3M it ain't never gonna come loose tape. Pretty much impervious to coolants and petroleum products. I replace my X tape after about 6 years. I spilled some acetone near the end of it and it started coming loose after a while.

Bob, I would add wipers, though. Swarf that gets in between the tape and head does actually affect the reading. Ditron seems to be using decent interpolation hardware, but I was able to detect some jitter on a dirty scale that disappeared when I wiped the scale down. My scales came with rubber wipers, but I replaced them with some hard felt and it seems to be holding up for about three years.
Yuriy

That's a good idea and cheap easy insurance. I'll do it.
Thanks Yuriy.
Bob

So I got my magnetic scales today, but I haven't unpacked them yet. Come to find out the old DRO head on my machine was old, but as I was taking off the old scales, I noticed that they are Accurite glass scales (SENC150 and SENC125). Both 5um scales. I decided to clean the X up and figured before I try to reinvent the wheel, I would give them a try. As a side benefit, if they work, I can use the magnetic scales when my PM1440GT gets here and save the DRO cost for that. The old DRO worked so I would think the scales themselves are still ok.

The wiring diagram for them has an A+, A-, B+, B-, 0, +5, R+, R-. So I ignored the R's, but did hook up the A- and B- to the A' and B' on the board (as well as the other obvious ones). The board started up ok and I was able to connect to it, but I wasn't getting any readings. Should I disconnect the A- and B-? Not sure if that is causing an issue.

So I got my magnetic scales today, but I haven't unpacked them yet. Come to find out the old DRO head on my machine was old, but as I was taking off the old scales, I noticed that they are Accurite glass scales (SENC150 and SENC125). Both 5um scales. I decided to clean the X up and figured before I try to reinvent the wheel, I would give them a try. As a side benefit, if they work, I can use the magnetic scales when my PM1440GT gets here and save the DRO cost for that. The old DRO worked so I would think the scales themselves are still ok.

The wiring diagram for them has an A+, A-, B+, B-, 0, +5, R+, R-. So I ignored the R's, but did hook up the A- and B- to the A' and B' on the board (as well as the other obvious ones). The board started up ok and I was able to connect to it, but I wasn't getting any readings. Should I disconnect the A- and B-? Not sure if that is causing an issue.
I would start with +5V, Gnd, A and B. The scales should be compatible (quick Google search suggested that they are TTL), so it's probably a connection issue.

Well, no luck. I tried just using the 5v, 0, A, B, but it didn't seem to do anything either. I had already wired one scale (z) for the new magnetic scale as I still wanted to add it regardless so I tried it as well. No luck with it either.

Some details which may help troubleshoot. The mill is not connected to anything. It's just sitting in the middle of my shop so there should be no electrical interference. I did try a USB power supply as well as a wall power supply. With the USB I was showing 5.05 volts at the pins coming out of the TouchDRO board. With the tablet charger I was showing around 4.7.

I did notice there is a small LED on the new magnetic scales which I believe should light up with power. It does not. Maybe there is some ground issue I am not finding?

I tried to hold the magnetic head near the magnetic scale just to see if there was some type of resistance required, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

Anything else obvious to try?

Back