Which Noga magnetic base?

NGiovas

Registered
Registered
This is my first post on the forum. I thought I would start with something (hopefully) simple. For a little bit of background, I owned a 12x36 Harbor Freight lathe and a very worn-out Bridgeport mill about 20 years ago. I did some basic machining, but because of limited shop space eventually sold them to make room for other toys. I am planning to add a lathe and mill back into my shop at some point this year and have started to collect some of the tooling I will use as I find good deals.

I am wondering what type of Noga magnetic base you would recommend as a starting point. I started looking at them, but didn't realize how many different models there are. I am specifically looking for something to hold a dial indicator or dial test indicator. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

IMHO, this is a good starting point: NOGA PH2040. It's not as flashy as the articulating style, but it's more rigid and easier to use with the fine adjustment on the base:

NOGA PH2040.jpeg
I got mine from All Industrial last June using a promo code (subscribe 10; don't know if it's still valid) for $28 less 10% with free shipping (over $50? so I ordered some other items). They are selling them for $33 now, but not in stock. eBay & Amazon have them at $43 incl. shipping, Penn Tool, Travers & SHARS prices range from $49 — $60 plus shipping.

IMO, the articulating ones are absolutely worth it. Some of mine have a fine-adjust, and are easier to set up. That said, the size you need/want is going to depend extensively ont he size of your machinery.

This was my first one and it has worked out well enough that I bought a second one.

Features that stand out for me are the strong magnetic force for use on vertical surfaces, easy to install with one knob, fine adjust on top allows finer adjust than on bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions. To provide a little more detail on my planned equipment - while I haven't officially ordered anything yet, I am planning to order either a 13x40 or 14x40 lathe and a knee mill with a 9x35 table (or similar size). I haven't decided if I will purchase both at once or which brand, but I am in the process of trying to narrow it down. I hope to make a decision by the end of February as I know it can take some time to get new equipment.

I figured the wait time will allow me to shop for some good deals on accessories. I know there are a handful of things I will want right away, so I have already started looking.

+1 on the Noga PH2040. I bought one on the recommendation of @mikey and have never regretted it. The fit and finish is excellent and contribute to a very easy to adjust base.

IMHO, this is a good starting point: NOGA PH2040. It's not as flashy as the articulating style, but it's more rigid and easier to use with the fine adjustment on the base:

View attachment 432038
I got mine from All Industrial last June using a promo code (subscribe 10; don't know if it's still valid) for $28 less 10% with free shipping (over $50? so I ordered some other items). They are selling them for $33 now, but not in stock. eBay & Amazon have them at $43 incl. shipping, Penn Tool, Travers & SHARS prices range from $49 — $60 plus shipping.
I too purchased this type from All Industrial when they were on sale. I also have the articulating style. I find the articulating style easier to use but both styles are well made.

Last edited:
I have the articulating style Noga. It's so superior to the horrible HF one I had. The HHF wouldn't hold zero to save it's life. The Noga is a pleasure to use. Magnetic is pretty strong, and the arm stays still.

I have the articulating style Noga. It's so superior to the horrible HF one I had. The HHF wouldn't hold zero to save it's life. The Noga is a pleasure to use. Magnetic is pretty strong, and the arm stays still.
I had to laugh at your comment because I bot a Harbor Freight magnetic base years ago and only used it a couple of times because it didn't hold well and the arm would easily move. Now it just sits on top of a metal cabinet.

I had to laugh at your comment because I bot a Harbor Freight magnetic base years ago and only used it a couple of times because it didn't hold well and the arm would easily move. Now it just sits on top of a metal cabinet.
I've reused the base, which isn't too bad for minor stuff. At least it's better than the arm. The arm used to sag under it's own weight, the clamps wouldn't clamp, etc.

Back