Which Noga magnetic base?

I also have NOGA & SHARS with the articulating arms. The NOGA definitely has a stronger-pull base and the arms lock tighter than the SHARS. However, the large diameter solid rod arms, clamping mechanism and overall design of the PG2040 makes for a more rigid setup: if you place a similar-size articulating arm base next to the solid rod base, with identical indicators resting on the same immovable object, a tap on the indicator mount moves the needle less on the solid rod one than on the articulating arm one. In most cases for what we do the difference is unimportant, but if only buying one and want to save some money (to spend on other tools), I'd get the PH2040.

My Shars articulating mount is my best, but not as good as Noga's. I have four Starret bases and three chinese ones. I would throw them all in the trash in trade for one good Noga. If I can't trust a tool, I can't use it. I can't use anything I have right now. I'm still waiting for All Industrial to come back to their senses on prices. Have you seen lately?! It seems like everything is selling as if it were 18k gold plated since COVID, new, used, pawned, or otherwise.

In most cases for what we do the difference (in rigidity) is unimportant
Agree. For a dti with its light touch stylus the articulating style of holder is plenty rigid.
But I have never tried a dial indicator with 1'' of travel on the articulating style holder.

Last edited:
For a dti with its light touch stylus the articulating style of holder is plenty rigid.
I have never tried a dial indicator with 1'' of travel on it.
The more rigid, the less impact vibration in the setup will have on your readings.

I also went with the articulating NOGA after finding the conventional style of stands annoying in many situations (I have three or four of them). Now I'm looking to add another NOGA because I want to pretty much permanently keep a test indicator on one, and a dial indicator on the other. I think I'm going up one size for the next one just to give myself some flexibility and because I've since added a mill with a bigger table.

I bought mine on eBay....$90 for a DG61003:

I bought mine on eBay....$90 for a DG61003:

Thanks for the link. It looks like All Industrial has the DG61003 for $88.99 including free shipping. The 10% discount mentioned at the beginning of this thread takes it down to $80. It will probably be really tough to beat that price.

I think this model may be a good starting point. I really like the idea of the articulated arm and the fine adjustment. Listening to everyone on this thread, it sounds like most of you have multiple Nogas. As I suspected, buying the machines is the cheap part. It is all of the accessories / tooling that will break the bank :)

It doesn't have to. Price is best leveraged with patience. You don't need it all at once. :beer:

I definitely agree with that comment. I am making a list of the basic tools I need to get started and plan to learn to use those before adding more to the collection. I just know how tempting it is when you see all of the shiny toys available.

Honestly, one thing I plan to do differently this time around is to try to meet others locally who enjoy the hobby and try to learn from their experience so I don't waste a bunch of money on things I don't need.

Not to stray to far from the topic of this thread, but the only things on my short list right now are:
  • a magnetic base
  • a dial indicator
  • a dial test indicator
  • an upgraded set of calipers (I have a set of $15 Chinese calipers, but wouldn't mind getting a better caliper if a good deal pops up)
Most other items will probably wait until I figure out which machines I am going to buy.

You will want to add a 0-1" micrometer to that list. Grab something used of quality origin on eBay for $20. Just be sure it reads tenths via vernier on the barrel.

You will also want a set of thread pitch gauges. They can be cheap too. I have several sets, but I sure like the Helios Germany set I got on eBay for single digit dollars because... patience.

So I have to laugh a little, because this thread reminded me to get on All Industrial and buy a Noga base. So I did. And got the cheapo generico dial indicator for just $1 more, because why not. I can always use it at the grinding station or welding table...

Back