Which Noga magnetic base?

Thanks for the link. It looks like All Industrial has the DG61003 for $88.99 including free shipping. The 10% discount mentioned at the beginning of this thread takes it down to $80. It will probably be really tough to beat that price.

I think this model may be a good starting point. I really like the idea of the articulated arm and the fine adjustment. Listening to everyone on this thread, it sounds like most of you have multiple Nogas. As I suspected, buying the machines is the cheap part. It is all of the accessories / tooling that will break the bank :)

No argument there. The best price can vary with timing and discounts, etc. The All Industrial price on the Noga with an indicator is fantastic!

Everyone has slightly different priorities, but I decided to spend a bit more on a good dial test indicator first, then on a good dial indicator second. I figured even most inexpensive imports can manage to measure to a thousandth pretty easily, so spend more on a sensitive test indicator that can go to tenths for when it's important.

Another company to keep in mind is Ideal Precision Instrument Service in Ohio. They sell direct and on eBay and have a lot of refurbished stuff that's really nice at fantastic prices. They're worth a look if you narrow it down to a particular model or two you like. It's worth checking their website and eBay to see if one has a lower price...happens sometimes. I bought a reconditioned Mitutoyo dial indicator from them and it was like new.

http://idealprec.com

Nice calipers don't hurt, but if you've got a set that's at least all metal and not plastic, you might not need to rush to replace them. Calipers are really just for comparing things, not taking an absolute, accurate, measurement. I want this to be the same as that sort of deal....cheap imports do that just fine unless they're really, really bad.

I am specifically looking for something to hold a dial indicator or dial test indicator. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

What is certain is that we all need accurate reliable measuring tools to do accurate work.
Quality measuring tools will last a long time and gives years of enjoyment using them. My strategy was to buy quality as the need arrises so that the expense was justified.

Another company to keep in mind is Ideal Precision Instrument Service in Ohio. They sell direct and on eBay and have a lot of refurbished stuff that's really nice at fantastic prices. They're worth a look if you narrow it down to a particular model or two you like. It's worth checking their website and eBay to see if one has a lower price...happens sometimes. I bought a reconditioned Mitutoyo dial indicator from them and it was like new.

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out. I often scan eBay for deals on tools, but with measuring equipment, I fear getting a fake. What appears to be a great deal on a set of high-end calipers or a micrometer ends up being an overpriced copy. At least shopping with a known company greatly reduces that risk.

I have also seen a few reputable companies that sell refurbished dial test indicators. I have been watching to see if a good deal pops up with some of these suppliers as well. I don't mind buying used if it is in good condition.

I own most of the various Noga magnetic base indicator stands. See photo below:

32662250168_5df5679d0c_k.jpg

The Noga model numbering system can be baffling, but basically the first three digits of the number give an indication of the maximum reach of the articulated arm (not including the indicator holder at the end). From smallest to largest they are MA (509mm), MG7 (276mm), MG6 (246mm), DG6 (211mm), NF6 (107mm), and LC6 (76mm). The other digits of the model number specify if it has a mag base, if the fine adjustment is on the head, on the base, or both, and whether the arm that attaches to the mag base is threaded metric or imperial, and if it holds 8mm dial indicators or ⅜” indicators. The type of indicator mount at the far end determines the final reach length and can vary by 20mm.
Most of the newer Noga’s indicator stands are outfitted with the newer FA1500 type clamp, which are long, but very difficult to adjust and are not rigid. They look like the second from the top in this extract from the Noga catalog. On every Noga holder that I own, I have replaced the inductor holder with the older FA1300 units which are far more rigid and easier to set up and adjust.

51795454718_04952a10ef_k.jpg

This is the newer style indicator stem holder and it is NOT rigid. The following photo illustrates the rotating element that makes it difficult to lock down to a rigid configuration.

Hat - 1.jpeg

I recommend you replace that with the FA1300/1301, and stick with one of the stand types that have the fine adjustment on the mag base instead of at the head. Once that's done, the end clamp looks like this and it still maintains a fine-adjust at the indicator end:

Hat - 1 (1).jpeg

Of all of these models, my most used and favorite is the MG10533 since it has fine adjustment on the base, the indicator holder does not swivel and is thus rigid and easy to set up, and the reach is sufficient for sliding table outside edge alignment checks.

Hope this helps.

Back