who has gone metric?

I can guarantee I don't mean "US system". I sometimes refer to it as "English", SAE, Imperial or even"normal". Let's face it. Metric has a name. The old system really doesn't.

We had an interesting 'discussion' with a friend who sometimes rides with us. He's wondering why we still figure out our fuel economy in miles per gallon. Legally, we haven't had gallons since 1976. And yet, we still convert everything to mpg to see how our engines are running. He's right, of course, but I don't think it'll change in my lifetime.

Steve, no difference here from what Nixon tried to do. Lumber is still 2x4s, plywood is still 4x8 (but metric thickness). We used to build trucks in inches while the American company that bought us was already using metric.

No rhyme or reason.

Hey! you never know, when the US goes fully metric they may learn how to spell aluminium correctly.:roflmao:
(from someone who uses both systems often on the same project)

I use metric at work and try to at home as well. Part of it probably has to do with the fact that all of the cast-off fastenters that seem to wind up in my Garage are Metric :)
I have been using "bilingual" tape measures for my woodworking for a while now as well. I find that the metic side is a lot less confusing when it comes to marking and cutting short increments. I have always had a hard time keeping all of those fractional lines between the numbers straight. For my metal working, I am getting mostly digital mics and calipers so that they too can be "bilingual".

And just remember, the official NIST definition of an inch is..... 25.4 mm. So all of us have been using metric for quite some time now... even without knowing it :)

I can guarantee I don't mean "US system". I sometimes refer to it as "English", SAE, Imperial or even"normal". Let's face it. Metric has a name.

Yes. The International System of Units (abbreviated SI from French: Le Système international d'unités)

The old system really doesn't.

I suppose that there may not be any legislation formally naming it that, but the old UK (and Canadian) system seems to have been universally referred to as the Imperial system for nearly 200 years.

just want to see how many guys in the U.S. work in metric. i am committed to metric. i only own metric taps and dies, only have metric screws, only use metric tools, all the machines like mill, lathe, car, motorcycle are naturally metric (although my mill has imperial lead screws.) unfortunately i have to buy end mills and drills in fractional because it is rare to find metric versions in the u.s.

material is still fractional as well but it gets machined down anyway.

so shout out if you are metric and shame on you if your not! :nono: :lmao:

I cut 2 shafts each 1 ft long on my lathe. first shaft was 1 inch dia. and 2nd shaft was 25.4 mm dia. and yes the 2nd shaft was much more precise and more modern. my DRO knows both ways, what's the big deal ?

as hillary clinton might say , what difference does it make ! numbers are easy to go from one to the other if i need something metric thats the way i make it , i dont see how the length of some ones foot is much more odd than using the circumference of the earth, actually i can relate to a foot a little easier

Worked in a water analysis lab, used metric. Took science classes in college, used metric. Own Saab's, use metric. If my lead screw was in metric, I might be tempted, but still all my other tooling is in inches. I've noticed on the UK version of TopGear they still give speeds and distances in miles. And saying "two or three thou" just sounds more Marlboro man than a few tenths of a millimeter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my 0.02 euro as born-metric.
We are mainly confused by fractions, because generally the only one we use is the "half", like half a metre and so (quarter is just for time, never for length).
Then, when we see something like 27/64, we can't immediately understand if it's more than 5/8 or 5/16.
Probably seeing 1/2" as 32/64" and 3/8" as 24/64" would make it a lot easier for us, and a "BigFoot" made by 100 inches would even be better!
BTW, was the Rapidograph 0,2mm numbered 0.00787402 inches?

We have had the metric system here is Australia since 1974. I was 11 when they changed over. I still use both systems even now. My children know the basic imperial units and can convert some of them readily.

As honorable as this is
.... i am committed to metric. i only own metric taps and dies, only have metric screws, only use metric tools, .....
you will still need to use imperial measurements, parts and fittings. If you need to change out 1 stud in a part that has 20 more fractional threads, are you going to have 1 odd fastener, put a frational part back in, or will you change them all? On machinery that has imperial connections, (hydraulic line fer instance) are you going to fit 1 odd connection?

....And just remember, the official NIST definition of an inch is.....25.4 mm
I have seen this written before, and it fails to explain to me how you can choose an arbitary number to convert mm to inches. I know its not much, but when you are already working to tolerances of less than 0.0001" commonly nowadays, how do you machine to such a broad tolerance?

Cheers Phil

That was why I had both styles, because being an auto and big truck mech youre going to use both all the time. I prefer metric though because it all fits together so neatly when you are working with decimals and parts of whole unit measurements. I have even used both on the same trucks from time to tile. The body and frame is metric and the engine and trans is inch. What a PITA that is too,

Bob

Back