Who has their Mini lathe mounted to the top of a rolling tool cabinet?

dabear3428

Registered
Registered
just looking for pointers my main concern is that even with the casters locked there is still some rotation in them due to the design and worried that it will be problematic, so if anyone has done this i'm interested in your experiences / solutions.

I have my 11x30 lathe on a similar workbench cabinet. It's the 46" 9 drawer. I removed the wheels from the cabinet as i don't need to move it and didn't think it'd do me any favors with rigidity. They make castors that have leveling feet built into them if you need castors. My lathe is in a shed with a plywood floor so i shimmed it up the best i could and called it good.

I have my 11x30 lathe on a similar workbench cabinet. It's the 46" 9 drawer. I removed the wheels from the cabinet as i don't need to move it and didn't think it'd do me any favors with rigidity. They make castors that have leveling feet built into them if you need castors. My lathe is in a shed with a plywood floor so i shimmed it up the best i could and called it good.
thanks for the info, i'm planning to keep wheels under mine and if needed i will upgrade to leveling casters or add outrigger leveling feet, i think.

thinking something like this
mazon.com/Leveling-Workbench-Retractable-Suitable-Workbenches/dp/B0C77Z3B28/ref=sr_1_15?crid=L69USDUVVU4S&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.F5ObkEZ7KzAWXxOdE_XIXycKM-ut80_bHeYRz-OKvElHFZrW_6V5Mx-HBc3YEx3-3ByaLL5iRwrWtpS9_jbwOqoa95jtEXOr2dJDP5y6fTYRYAIortpzen3UrSRcVlZCu1SRt0O5O-ktUroqOroM-iOGfrquhCGdmof9y0OgsFU1wXNiIjLxmOahB_Iot5mVSf4PK3xgqo2RLuORq7tFapBvMsqH97muLwICzqE7Hh4.nssqqjqQk8f1HRePPvHdJUn8OP0ZlGFVmbmwwKLpbL4&dib_tag=se&keywords=leveling%2Bcasters&qid=1709922117&sprefix=leveling%2Bccasters%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-15&th=1

FWIW, I had a 7x16 and now have a 8.5x20 mounted on a Husky cabinet similar to the one you linked to in post #1. I think mine the 46” model, though. It is 10 years old still on the original casters. I didn’t anchor or bolt either lathe to the cabinet, just sat them on top, and haven’t had any problem.

The link in post #3 didn't work for me.

Tom

add an "A" out front and the link will work. It's a link to the leveling casters i described:

1709946489676.jpeg

I added a Floor Lock to a 27” Kobalt that my 12x18 surface plate lives on:

IMG_6820.jpeg

Easy to move the cabinet when I have to and solid 3-point support when needed.

You just put 1 between the casters and the it is solid between the 2 non caster wheels and the floor lock?

Very nice, never heard of these

add an "A" out front and the link will work. It's a link to the leveling casters i described:

View attachment 481670
Here in the UK we don't get the cool green colour, all we get is cream and black.:frown::grin:

To be fair the cream is quite fetching.

This summer, I reckon my bigger workbench and my lathe stand are going to get a set of these each. I might even get three sets and put 6 on each (3 on each end) so I can get the 'triangle' from both ends.

Just a word of caution. Try not to get soft rubber cushions on the leveling casters. I bought some for my mini lathe on a tool chest and found the bench wasn't rigidly flat. The bench would sway with not much effort. It annoyed me enough that I removed the leveling casters and substituted spacers on the floor.

You just put 1 between the casters and the it is solid between the 2 non caster wheels and the floor lock?

Very nice, never heard of these
Correct; the size of the lock matches the wheel diameter so that it just lifts the casters off the floor – depending on how you can mount the lock on the base of the chest you may need to shim it. I also had to trim the ends of the two release levers so that the casters would clear them when making turns (the lock is bigger than it looks, and the Kobalt cabinet is only 18" deep:

20240309 Floor Lock.jpeg

Of course I didn't check the clearance until after the chest was right side up, all the drawers were loaded and the surface plate back on top (reciprocating saw and a file did a great job on the levers).

Similar locks were on all of the mechanic's carts in the Hershey plant, where I first saw them 45 years ago.

Back