[4]

Who makes a good set screw ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
U

umahunter

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm adjusting my tailstock on my grizzly g0602 now that got one of those edge tailstock alignment bars. first time I did it with rulers but I'm gonna make something and want the tailstock to be lil more accurate and I can already tell the set screws in there are soft and will strip if i tighten them to much or have to do this again cutting tapers etc so I figured I'd change them out to something better. I actually pondered just using 2 regular hex bolts but I think I'll stick with the set screws for now . most places around here carry Hillman which aren't much better so I figured I'd see what others have used thanks

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Never buy cheap setscrews!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I carry with me side cutting pliers and is not uncommon to give the bolts i'm looking for little nip in the store to see if they are really 10.9 or 8.8 grade, you can try that trick evan if it cost you few pennies, you have a piece of main they won't strip next time they need to come out.

Eddyde

Bronze
Registered
All the screws I've ever ordered from McMaster Carr have been of very high quality.

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I am planning on replacing ALL the set screws on my import QCTP holders. I just need to find out the size-BXA-Phase 2.
This Thread came at a good time. I know Mcmaster Carr is a great source. Good pricing too for quality packages.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Stainless setscrews from Stainlesstown.com are good

Liljoebrshooter

Registered
Registered
I have replaced all the setscrews on my tool holders. What an improvement.
I have 2 different size screws . The smaller ones are M8×1.25×20mm.
The larger screws are M10×1.5×20mm.
I bought them from McMaster Carr.
Joe Hynes

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Free advice, at no cost to you, and worth every penny: Don't choose stainless...

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Its just such a shame that "almost" every supplier has gone the import route because it offers value.
Depending on the end use, I now need to specify to suppliers whether or not I want value for money or something that is suitable for the job at hand........

Cheers Phil

EmilioG

Active User
HoloKrome. Except they don't make flat end type. McMaster has import set screws or Fastenal, Msc.
Ebay has small lots for less.

[6]
[5] [7]