Who makes a good surface grinder small enough for a basememnt home shop?

someone said to me "harig and Boyer something' for well made machines
thanks,

Jon

Harig makes a sweet surface grinder. Probably one the best out there! I don't know if it is the same people you mentioned, but could be.

The Harig grinder mode in both 5 x 10 and 6 x 12 models are light weight enough to be broken down for easy handling.

There are several websites out there that comment on the Harig surface grinders.

Ken

Mitsui (MHT) or Okamoto are tops in my world but for home shops Harigs or Boyars are just lovely indeed. Even most of the 6-18s break into managable bits.

Well as luck have it I scored a Harig "super"612 this morning off craigslist 5 miles from my house. NOt sure what super part means but suppose I'll find out. Its pretty clean as grinders go and small enough as the OP mentioned to get down into the basement. Now if i can just do this w/o momma finding out
Came with a box of 6-7 new wheels, couple mag v blocks, grinding vice (looks home made)
Interestingly it has a built in dust collector as the base caninet which is kinda nice. It has its own 240/3p motor that is wired and comes on with the main motor. Wierd part is the wheel guard doesnt have provisions for a dust port or a connection hose. Guess i need to work all that out once its home.
Paid $800
rytebyty.jpg
gute5ega.jpg
tetuqu6y.jpg

rytebyty.jpg

gute5ega.jpg

tetuqu6y.jpg

NICE! (you suck). [I wish we had a little green envy icon].

Thanks. Its good to suck for once.

I was inches from pulling the trigger on an Okamoto 612 yesterday at a machine tool auction for work. Had the cash but chickened out and let someone out bid me in the end. Something about paying 15% on top ofyour bid plus sales tax rubsme wrong as well. They were soooo nice tho about 12 in all w/dro's too but people were paying around 4k. Could have got one for 3 but Im not in the mood for a divorce. 800 qualifys and can be justified as a hefty bday gift to myself.

Also need to find a spanner for the wheel nut and a manual. Both are missing.

Last edited:
Be apprised, he's working on a model that will be made in Taiwan. -No details on that unit at this time and no timeframe yet on availability.
That is awesome! I have been wanting to get a decent small surface grinder for awhile, but this doesn't seem to be the machine to buy from China.

Looking forward to seeing what he has to offer.

Well as luck have it I scored a Harig "super"612 this morning off craigslist 5 miles from my house.
Well a big "you suck" to you to. :D That thing looks to be in great shape, and seems to have the original paint job. You practically stole that thing for $800.

I have been dogging my craigslist for a while, and have only seen two surface grinders in the past two years. And both of them were in the $6k-$11k range, and had a lot of rust and mung caked on them.

YouSuck_zpskfxwenrn.png

Last edited:
I have a small Sandord tabletop surface grinder for sale if anyone's interested? :) ... I'm in 'NJ

Back