Who wants to make a beer cannon ? ..............................

This one shoots golf balls, it's more of a mortar. It also fits 4th of July mortar rounds, although I 've never shot one with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 22
I have been rollin the idea of a golf ball cannon around in my noggin as well as a tomato paste can
filled with concrete cannon fer laffs...........

Look what Santa Clauz brought me.
What size is it? It looks similar to the chunk of metal I started off with.
I had a 11" or so long chunk of brass, 4" or so diameter and an uneven 1-3/8 hole drilled through the center.
I ended up with a 10" or so cannon with a 1-1/2 bore.
I uses a chunk of brass, threaded, 1-1/2" long, to plug the open end.

20200412_165121-jpg.320708

What size is it? It looks similar to the chunk of metal I started off with.
I had a 11" or so long chunk of brass, 4" or so diameter and an uneven 1-3/8 hole drilled through the center.
I ended up with a 10" or so cannon with a 1-1/2 bore.
I uses a chunk of brass, threaded, 1-1/2" long, to plug the open end.

20200412_165121-jpg.320708
My stuff is some kind of steel, 12" long, 51/4" OD and 3" bore, that's a nice piece of brass, I'm looking for breach plug material, only get to the drop shop once a month.

My stuff is some kind of steel, 12" long, 51/4" OD and 3" bore, that's a nice piece of brass, I'm looking for breach plug material, only get to the drop shop once a month.
That's a good chunk of steel.
What I would do, if I were making that project...
I would get a chunk of 3" steel (or larger to turn down and perfectly fit the bore) down and fit it in the end like a plug. I'd make it about 1.5" thick.
Then I'd cross drill the plug and add a 3/4" rod to hold the plug in place.

That way I could remove the back piece from time to time to clean the thing. Also, if, for some reason, the cannon doesn't fire (It happened to a friend of mine), you could safely remove the charge.

I would option to thread a plug but the first cannon I did that on was impossible to remove the threaded plug after a few firings. Something about the oxidation of the powder created the perfect properties needed to rust the plug in place.

On my brass cannon, the threaded plug serves the same purpose. I have a 1/2" square hole in it to be able to use a 1/2" drive ratchet to remove the plug if needed. Brass doesn't seem to lock up the way steel does.

Back