Who's Actually Needed A Fwd Assist?

Yeah did that last fall. Everything seems to function normally at "hand speed".

I've used mine a couple of times at 3Gun matches: my fingers have slipped off of the charging handle before full extension. One time it was needed (I felt things move when I hit the assist), and the other time it was not.

I have also used it for the same reason on my wife's AR. She has a Larue RISR installed so she can get a proper cheek weld. The RISR is basically a higher cheek rest on slides to move out of the way of the charging handle, and then a spring returns it to the forward position. Anyhow, it adds a bit of effort to the charging motion, and if you don't have a good grip on the handle, you'll lose it.

I had a batch of (hog) hunting ammo that I left (reloaded) a tiny bit long. The ammo fit mags fine...but the bullet hit the lands right before the bolt was fully closed. Under firing the weight of the BCG slammed everything home just fine, but when using the charging handle the extra drag if you didn't release it cleanly would leave the rifle slightly out of battery.

Yes I know the risks. I shot them anyway...but I did hit the FA each time to be sure. It made for very tedious hunting, but much less tedious than pulling bullets...and no I couldn't just bump them deeper, they were crimped and that just bulged the case.

Hi every one first time post. Have been hobby machining for close to 50 years. All of the above reasons for using the FA are valid, but I have read that if the bolt was released with the bolt release button and the bolt did not go into battery there was a good reason. Using the FA would likely force things to the point the chamber could not be cleared. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. If there is dirt or foreign objects, ammo sizing issues and the like you can crap a round in pretty tight requiring you to mortar the rifle to eject it. Mortaring is holding the rifle above a solid object and pulling it down by the charging handle against the hard object. This tends to pull MOST stuck rounds. Sort of hard on the butt plate though. But a viable solution to not end your range day and have to pry or beat on your rifle.

Thank you gentlemen, I've learned a few things here and learning is always a good thing. Much appreciated.

Tom

Once in very cold weather, I was shocked at first as it was a fairly new rifle. Then I figured out the problem was my fault, due to using too much of the wrong type of oil.

Once in very cold weather, I was shocked at first as it was a fairly new rifle. Then I figured out the problem was my fault, due to using too much of the wrong type of oil.

In really cold weather, we've strip cleaned the oil out and switched to dry graphite lube. Did that after hearing the bolt return very slowly in -10°F temps. The graphite works well. When warm temps return we go back to oil.

Tom

In really cold weather, we've strip cleaned the oil out and switched to dry graphite lube. Did that after hearing the bolt return very slowly in -10°F temps. The graphite works well. When warm temps return we go back to oil.

Tom

I've read that eskimos use 100% rubbing alcohol on firearms for lube. No idea how true that is.

As stated, I use it while hunting to quietly chamber a round. I've never had to use one in compitition(luckily) but my rifle still sports one (no pun intended! Lol).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back