Why 1/2 spindle speed in Reverse

I converted my mill to CNC quite a while back and it makes many tasks incredibly simple that would not be so simple in manual mode, like cutting a circle of any diameter or cutting an oval. I’m often working on something else while the mill is busy doing it’s thing.

Yup, did this on my CNC mini mill and 3D printer last weekend marking the start of my Land Rover Series III restoration project. Very easily cut elliptical pocket!
20220414_161733.jpg

I am not going to ask because I dont want to get interested, because then I want do it and then it is going to cost money and then my wife will get upset and then............

How do you convert your mill from manual to CNC???

How do you convert your mill from manual to CNC???
Another deep rabbit hole (BTW Happy Easter All), In my case, I bought a Grizzly G8689 Mini-Mill about 15-years ago and after about 5-years of using it I decided to do the CNC thing with it. Opted to buy a conversion kit (just the mechanics ball-screws, ball-nuts, mounts, etc) then came the stepper motors from another vendor and on to the controller run by Mach3. Then I wanted an enclosure because I opted to go air-blast, mist and flood cooling. So given my nature a simple enclosure got really complicated with pneumatic lifting and pulleys and stuff. It worked out so well, I added a stepper-motor converted rotary-table and ended up with nice Mini 4-Axis VMC.
I can look for the links for all the stuff it took to do it if anyone's interested.
But here are a few videos of it in action:

Back