Why I am back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a newbie, I will say you have created a wonderful site that has helped me on my journey of knowledge. So many great people have shared ideas and thoughts with me on questions posed. And from this sharing, I have learned so many things and also have been presented with a whole new series of questions and ideas that allow me to improve my skills and explore other areas related to machining. Keep up the work and I will continue to support this great site.

Nelson, to say I am shocked by this is an understatement. I must be particularly numb because I had no idea that the site was being run in a manner inconsistent with the bylaws of the site. I am particularly shocked because of the individuals involved. My impression of Terry, Gator and Ken has been very positive. All have been helpful to, and supportive of, everyone and I saw no evidence of "heavy-handedness" that someone mentioned by any of them.

With that said, if they circumvented the Board and yourself, and especially if they sought to limit your involvement in the site beyond your desires, then your actions are totally understandable and appropriate. This behavior on the part of the mods involved seems so out of character that I admit to being totally at a lost to explain it. I am saddened that this happened and sorry that you were forced to take such drastic action.

As you well know, I have been your supporter for many years and will continue to be. You have created a forum to be proud of. It is truly unlike any other machining forum I am aware of in that it is truly "friendly" to everyone. I hope that this hurdle is passed over quickly; I'm sure it is very stressful for you and you have had more than your share of that to deal with.

Mike

Tony Wells will return to help me sort everything out. Tony is a very level-headed person, who is not prone to act in haste. He has already given me his opinion on the situation, since he was here, and observed everything. Rest assured that everything will be set right. We will move forward.

We could use some new moderators to volunteer, because we lost a few due to natural attrition, people getting busy, having other issues in their lives that take precedence, etc. What Richard said about moderation is 100% on the money- it is a thankless, difficult job that creates enemies from friends. Luckily, we have good people here, and 90% of what we need in moderators is knowledge of machining and the ability to be patient and teach others.

I don't want to air any more of the unfortunate details of what transpired than I need to in order to advise the members. I am not angry or even upset at all. I simply view this as a failed effort. In the interim, I have done some work renovating my small shop area and getting some of the machine parts together for reassembly. I will post some photos in the shop photos area when I get a chance.

As today is Saturday, it is one of my two work days during the weekend. That big nor'easter just passed through last night, so I am going to be making another built-in shelf outside on the patio, so I don't get yelled at by SWMBO.

Well this has been quite an informative post. I still consider myself a newbie here since I only joined last year, when I decided to get back into machining again. (Used to work and play in my father's machineshop during my teens).

I never knew of any drama or politics going on, but I do find it very interesting how the forum is tied into a registered corporation. I find it actually kind of neat. :)

That said, I assume the others who hid things from the board were still acting in what they thought was the best interest for the forum.

I had looked at other machining groups for hobbyist last year, and examined them for total amount of posts per day, and how the environment was, etc. This was one of the top forums that stood out for me, so hence I've been parked here ever since. The long periods where I had not posted anything was mostly because I was not machining because I had to wait months for certain parts on backorder to arrive. Ahah!

Hm ..............never paid much attention to the dealings going on within the site , but this is STILL the best site to learn . It is friendly . I posted a thread awhile back that was taken out of context by a few but it was removed thank god ! I'll soon be a hobby machinist myself !

Nels, you were running the show when I joined and I appreciate the site you have made so much. Sorry the change in administration didn’t work out for the site as you had desired.
Glade to see you would step up, despite the obvious impacts on your personal plans, to keep the site as you had originally intended. Would be sorry to see the other moderators leave over this though - their experience and opinions are so appreciated by us beginners.

Nelson, as you posted this, "As today is Saturday, it is one of my two work days during the weekend. That big nor'easter just passed through last night, so I am going to be making another built-in shelf outside on the patio, so I don't get yelled at by SWMBO" . are you in New England ? close to Maine ? If so i could lend a hand with helping you set up your shop.
Just to join what others here have said. This really is the best internet site i have had the pleasure of being part of.

Thank you.

I am no computer tech guy! I felt something was wrong but couldn't tell just what. I am however a fair gunsmith and have done a few jobs that were hard to tell from magic! Now, there is a fellow on LI that has invited me to visit his home for some one on one instruction, and on his dime! I know NY,NY is a big place but I'm from Texas where we measure distances in time, I will find you. IF I except this members gracious offer I fully expect you to find time to at least shake my hand! ( That's a big deal down here!) My back has finally quit working without excruciating pain so surgery is next the step. Then we will see if there is any way to stand and do some magic! P.S. Glad you are back my friend!!!

Nelson, as you posted this, "As today is Saturday, it is one of my two work days during the weekend. That big nor'easter just passed through last night, so I am going to be making another built-in shelf outside on the patio, so I don't get yelled at by SWMBO" . are you in New England ? close to Maine ? If so i could lend a hand with helping you set up your sho
Just to join what others here have said. This really is the best internet site i have had the pleasure of being part of.

Thank you.

I am taking a break before I tape some joints (I really hate sheetrocking work) on the shop front wall.
Thanks for the kind offer, Old Mud. We're in NY, but our family visited Ogunquit, Maine for vacation every year until the kids were born.
We love Maine. I used to drive trolleys at the Kennebunkport Seashore Trolley Museum.
Now we go to the Jersey shore because it's closer.

There is only one person on LI who is somewhat close, but John isn't here much.
It's over an hour drive in heavy traffic to his place.
So I'm on my own. Probably why I never got anywhere.
And why I insist you guys put in your locations and form mentorships and groups.
People need to team up and help one another to get things set up and going.

Fellas, I am not going to go into the particulars here other than what I have said.
It's just not a good idea.
I started this place myself, paid for it for several years out of the paltry allowance SWMBO gave me for hobbies, and used free software.
It got bigger than I ever thought, and we bought professional software and a dedicated server.
Someone got the idea of having people donate to help me pay for it.
I didn't want to make a dime on this, so I made it a nonprofit.
I organized the corporation. Could have had 3 board members, me, my wife, and my son, (3 is permitted in NY), but I expanded the board so we could give more people a chance to have a voice.
Lo and behold, 3 people end up running it only, because I wanted, after 7 years, to finally play with my toys.
I was going to give them away for free to whoever would haul them out of my basement.
I decided to try once more to get things done down there and to pass the torch to do it.
I checked the site every morning, when I did backups, and I didn't like what I was seeing.
Suffice to say, It didn't work out.

Ken will be back. Terry will not because he quit, and he has expressed a loathing hatred for me. It shocked me to hear it.
Gator will not be back. I received a number of complaints from people who said that he was rude to them and acted like he owned the place.
I can't have a moderator who is rude to people.
If anyone is rude to you, moderator, member, or me, let me know about it.
We all have bad days, but let's try to help and be kind to each other.

Nelson

Nelson--I am very happy you are back in control--I have really enjoyed this site for all levels of skill for machining and shop practices--I am not a skilled machinist but use my machines to get the desired result accomplished--I am still trying like you to get my shops in good order after a move 8 years ago--I am getting there finally and wish I could help you in your shop---maybe some member close to you can give you a hand---thanks again for starting a friendly site---Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back