Why is a shop called a shop?

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here is a copy and paste of what AI called a shop. Now I understand why folks in Australia call it a Shed. From now on I am revolting against this improper use of the English language. I will from here on refer to my ____ as My Playground.

"Shop" is a modern term commonly used to describe a place where goods or services are sold. "Shoppe" is an archaic spelling often used to evoke a quaint, old-world feel, although both essentially mean the same thing.

In this case the word "shop" is primarily a verb. It's what you have to do on a daily basis to keep enough materials and tools in stock to complete the jobs at hand. In many cases it's also a noun denoting the fact that goods are serviced regularly, i.e. repaired, and on many occasions sold.

Call it what you like. To me the word "shop" pretty much covers all aspects of the activates that take place between the walls. It's all a game of semantics. For the record my wife refers to it as the "money pit".

Depending where you are from, "Shop" is often a short-hand version of "Workshop", itself a joining of two words "work" and "Shop", denoting a place where work is carried out to produce goods to be sold..

Another example (which I dislike) is "rents" as a shorthand for "Parents" or "its in the rage" meaning "in the garage" (NOT Gar-arrge).

Also, it is Jag-you-ah not "Jagwaaar"

Shop in the proper sense is a space dedicated to the selling of goods / provision of services.

The english language is all fine and good until it gets beat to hell, changed about and mixed up and then spat out as "English" when it is actually a divergant facsimile with little in common with the original language.

Oh, btw, " a boot" is something you wear on your foot, the word you need is "about"

Yes, I am poking fun, but only in a lighthearted playful way ;)

I call it a shop when talking to others. I call it "puram" from Hindu when I'm talking to myself.

Depending where you are from, "Shop" is often a short-hand version of "Workshop", itself a joining of two words "work" and "Shop", denoting a place where work is carried out to produce goods to be sold..

Another example (which I dislike) is "rents" as a shorthand for "Parents" or "its in the rage" meaning "in the garage" (NOT Gar-arrge).

Also, it is Jag-you-ah not "Jagwaaar"

Shop in the proper sense is a space dedicated to the selling of goods / provision of services.

The english language is all fine and good until it gets beat to hell, changed about and mixed up and then spat out as "English" when it is actually a divergant facsimile with little in common with the original language.

Oh, btw, " a boot" is something you wear on your foot, the word you need is "about"

Yes, I am poking fun, but only in a lighthearted playful way ;)
It must take you several weeks to FART ! LOL

Back