Why is a shop called a shop?

I call it a shop because everybody else does. It’s hard enough to keep up with language evolution.
Are you suggesting we are "Translingual"?

but still reserving shop for small to medium manufacturing businesses.
Well THATS a relief. One of the few times in my life I was using the term properly. It is peculiar that as the whole business evolved I first called it the garage when we could still put a car in there. But as the machines took over the space we both refer to it as the shop.

We are in the middle of another upgrade in shop space. The Tetris Garage has been on the verge of lockup for years now and my wonderful wife has been trying to work out either moving or building a shop in the backyard. As we seem to do after running the scenarios we’ve come up with the best cost efficient way for me. Pull up the thousands of bricks the previous owners had laid down loose and the gophers had rearranged into a useless pockmarked roller coaster along with the tons of dirt we had to move elsewhere on our undulating lot and make it into a continuous cemented walkway all the way around the house. A dream we’ve had since we moved here 15yrs ago. Behind the house my old 8x10 converted tent shed will be material storage and in the backside main yard will be the new scratch made 10x12x12 max shed which will be machine overflow. Where machines like my sheetmetal tools like the English wheel/beader/planisher/shrinker-stretcher along with tablesaw, engine hoist, old H frame 22tn screw press and whatever will fit in there will reside safely. All stuff I don’t use everyday but were incredible deals and indispensable for the projects I do. We have an RV gate on that side of the house(no RV) so perfect access to be able to move stuff in and out as needed.

As usual it’s taken years to get the whole plan worked out in our heads with many parts to be worked out. The biggest was who in the world to do this huge project that started with the westside fence, then the bricking in the back of the house walkway, bricking in the walkway on the west side along with flagstone then do the pad for the max shed and then build it. The guy who had been the main part of the crew that did our remodel 2yrs ago was at loose ends and took the whole thing on. We are getting to the last quarter of this huge project and now it’s a race to finish the shed and pad in front of it that will tie in with the RV drive before he gets called away to other bigger projects.

My friends are calling my shop “mini factory”, because of my French ex. She couldn’t remember the English word for atelier, so she came up with the term mini factory instead :congratulate: It quickly became a running joke.

I also use "Hangar 18", which I stenciled on the door of my container shop, and "Crack Lab", from the time the Sheriff's department brought the sniffer dogs for a tour of my container shop (not joking). I laughed so hard I couldn't have been bothered to ask for a warrant.

I also use "Hangar 18", which I stenciled on the door of my container shop, and "Crack Lab", from the time the Sheriff's department brought the sniffer dogs for a tour of my container shop (not joking). I laughed so hard I couldn't have been bothered to ask for a warrant.
Thats funny because I have a picture of an alien on the door of my shop that says "Area 51"

Here is a copy and paste of what AI called a shop. Now I understand why folks in Australia call it a Shed. From now on I am revolting against this improper use of the English language. I will from here on refer to my ____ as My Playground.

"Shop" is a modern term commonly used to describe a place where goods or services are sold. "Shoppe" is an archaic spelling often used to evoke a quaint, old-world feel, although both essentially mean the same thing.
Itlvt, you have the same affliction as I have, your Texan, we speak Texican....:grin:

Hanger 18 reminded me of the show Warehouse 13 I used to watch.

For the record. My shop is in the garage. I refer to my shop as the garage still. Once I get it all sorted out I might start calling it my shop.

Who knows who cares. As long as I have a place to mess around with machines and nobody bothers me I am happy.

Just had a thought. I will forever more refer to this space as “The Bat Cave”.

Cutting oil is my blood.

When I was with the phone company, we worked from a garage, which was a parking lot with a couple sheds.

At home, I call my basement shop the hole, my wife just rolls her eyes.

Back