Why is it acceptable

Bluing the spindle to chuck was suggested very early on. It is basically one of the very first things you should have done. A 'sharpie' will not cut the mustard.
Yeah I hear you but I didnt want to jump the gun and be tempted to start sanding stuff down if Itd void warranty. Matt has been great about standing by his product so now i can move forward. Last thing I wanted to do was cause drama. Just some miscommunication between myself and the tech rep. Thanks for all the help and sorry if y'all had to repeat things that are already well documented.

Did you blue the spindle and that is the transfer? If so, that looks like you might have put it on way too thick.

No voiding anything if you are trying to correct something like that, as long as its anything reasonable (Like I said in the email, just don't take an angle grinder to it! Obviously joking haha) so no problem there. I emailed back last night, when you have a chance just let us know what you find, or I can have it sent back to us and I will take a look.

Edit: There I go again posting from the wrong page before looking at the newest updates, but now I see I just clicked on the notification and did not go to the end first!

Assuming the angle of the taper is correct, bluing the spindle taper will not reveal the problem. The area in question is the flat contact area between chuck and spindle.

Also, its not even really like sanding it down, its more like wiping it out, .0001 isnt much at all. In old machinist terms from the guys I used to work with, its a very light kind of hair as the amount that has to come out. Coming from me though when I have done fits on different things so many times over the years, I see how it can be frustrating especially when new to this. This is why machinists that do it for a living end up being very very cranky haha.

It is the fit of the taper not letting it come all the way to the spindle face, so it is the area that is blued that is being checked, that is correct.

Assuming the angle of the taper is correct, bluing the spindle taper will not reveal the problem. The area in question is the flat contact area between chuck and spindle.

I think the idea was to determine whether the problem was a burr keeping it from going all the way down, or just too small of a recess in the chuck. It seems clear from that bluing picture that he's pretty darn far away from the flat touching though.

More pics less blue. Probably a bit too much again but it was easier to get depth readings without wiping it down a bit. Idk if its visible in the pics but my eye is picking up a slight depth variation from 1 to 2 and 3 back to 1(pics are in order looking at studs 1,2,3). I cant think of a consistent way to take measurement so I'm using the depth gauge on my calipers and I'm getting pretty repeatable readings of very roughly something like stud 1.).3975", stud 2.).4135", stud 3.).4145". The results very every time but it always has stud one seated lower while 2 and 3 are pretty close. Idk makes sense to me I need to take a hair off in the area of stud 1
20200221_111247.jpg

Attachments

• 20200221_111300.jpg
    20200221_111300.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200221_111315.jpg
    20200221_111315.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 29
The blue is in the right place. Don't know what the depth gauge is for.
The chuck was installed on the spindle and then removed. Right? Where the blue gets rubbed thin or rubbed off is where a 'high' spot is that needs to be polished/buffed.

Looks like this one stud needs to be turned in one more turn. The others you cannot see the line.

Attachments

• 20200221_103026.jpg
    20200221_103026.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 16
Back