Why is it acceptable

vendor may not stand behind it but if you don't mess with it you stand a better chance.
Wouldn't you think they would though? I'll let you guys know who it is after I deal with them. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to ask them for a refund. The threads on the jaws are all pretty tight except for ome as well. There's no mention of this stuff on their website. I paid good money I feel like I should know if im getting into something that needs modifications even if I am just hobby level gear. Haha

The OD is irrelevant. The back being out could point to a bigger problem. Mount the chuck on the the spindle in whatever configuration gives you the best possible readings. Then chuck a piece of round stock and indicate it as close to zero as you can up close to the chuck. Then check it several inches away from the chuck. If the two readings are significantly different, the chuck is not mounting square to the spindle.

From the picture, I don't think you have a removable backing plate. I don't know what the cap screws are for, but they don't look big enough to be mounting bolts, and a backing plate would not be cut away to match the chuck casting.
Those bolts circled in blue marker are for retaining the nuts that the jaw screws engage.

I'm not making it to the flat if I'm going by the depth of sharpie maker that has made it onto the taper of the chuck.20200219_110901.jpg

The backside of the chuck adjacent to the studs, and the taper are the only surfaces that should be in contact, not the flat area at the bottom of the taper.

This is the thread that helped me when I had a similar issue: (Especially post #26) https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mounting-d1-3-three-jaw-chuck.72187/

Bob Korves summed it up well toward the end:
Note also that every chuck, faceplate, collet chuck, or anything else that mounts to the spindle needs to be separately fitted to the spindle taper and face. It is really not that difficult, but mildly fussy, to do. Just requires understanding of how the parts fit together. Don't mess with the spindle at all except to very carefully remove any burrs that may exist there.

Right that's was what I came to understand. I didnt write down the measurements and unfortunately i cant think of them but if the nose of the spindle was transfering sharpie like it looks like it did then the measurement of the depth its sitting at isnt enough for the surfaces to be mating. Inwas careful when I did it but I'll double check when I'm done runni ng around. Then I'll have to call company and see what they want to do.

You guys think I should try for refund and just get a more expensive chuck? I like to run carbide inserts for roughing and they like high speed. My machine maxes at 2krpm so Id need something rated pretty high

If the face is not in contact push the chuck onto the taper with the center and now you can feeler gauge the gap. With that you have something in concrete to present to the vendor. I would not get overly excited about fixing a customers issue if he came back and said this doesn't look right, well prove it to me.

push the chuck onto the taper with the center and now you can feeler gauge the gap.

Bto sir,

My live center is an mt3 it's not big enough to fill the bore on my 8" chuck. Unless you're suggesting I snug the collar on the live center up against the chuck and take measurements? put the center in to a depth in the tailstock where the mt3 can still spin? Then push it up?

If the face is not in contact push the chuck onto the taper with the center and now you can feeler gauge the gap. With that you have something in concrete to present to the vendor. I would not get overly excited about fixing a customers issue if he came back and said this doesn't look right, well prove it to me.
Also the rep I talked to yesterday told me he had to open up the taper of the same exact chuck to fit his machine from the same company that also has a d1-4 camlock. He kind of lead me on to think i could possibly get it to tune in. Part of the reason I'm so frustrated. This is a big reputable company. If they know this is an issue they should post it on the website. There's a video on YouTube of the same exact chuck wobbling the same as mine on a bigger machine by same company. Also other reports of the jaw screws being too tight. Mine arent "too" tight but they arent smooth. These things should be disclosed before sales. 480$ isnt exactly chump change. Not to mention the damage someone could do to their spindle. I'm lucky I didnt screw my spindle up.

Back