Why not a Taig workshop?

captvalk

Registered
Registered
I'm a newbie to machining, and am dithering over what to do. I started out thinking I would buy a Taig mill and lathe. Then as I read different posts in different sites, I decided I needed a bigger setup. The common theme was "get the biggest you can get, because you'll soon outgrow your machines." So I started looking at various Asian Mini-lathes and mills, thinking I would buy one, and then the other, until I finally decided on Lathemaster 9x30 and a Lathemaster LM25L, and also looked at band saws and belt sanders, because several sites said I needed those. Supposedly the Lathemaster is higher quality and bigger than some of the other Asian machines I considered. Then I thought about CNC because I love computers, but became discouraged over all the comments about needing to learn manual machining first. Then I saw all the comments saying I should hold out for a used Bridgeport because all those Asian imports are crap. Then I looked at my garage and the limited space I have and thought, where are you going put all that stuff? And you can hardly drill a decent hole in wood -- what if you have absolutely no aptitude in machining, and what are you planning on making anyway? So I started downsizing my dreams of being a machinist to the point where I am back at Taig again. I had to relook at my goals.

First, I want to learn how to make things with my own hands. Although I have used things that other people have made, I've never made anything significant involving craftsmanship. I've spent over 10 years flying jets as a naval aviator and as a Learjet Captain, 10 years as an Aerospace engineer involved with aircraft, Space Shuttle, and satellite projects, and 20 years as a lawyer, so I'm not afraid of trying something new. But I admire those of you that make practical or beautiful things out of scraps of metal, and I want to be just like you. But I don't know how passionate I will be until I do it. I know I am tired of killing trees and inking paper. Historically, when I start a hobby, I run with it. But that is only if I love it. Here, I just imagine I would love it, although it is a much greater depth of imagination that my desire to play the piano, which will never happen.

Second, I want to make models and toys for grandkids as a means of learning machining skills.

Third, I don't know where I am going from there. I would like to be a hobby gunsmith so I might put my hopefully acquired machining skills to work there. Or I might want to make knives, or pens, or chessmen or whatever. I see lots of project ideas and even specializations that look like fun, but who knows.

So, I'm back at Taig. I'm thinking that I will either decide Taig is big enough or it isn't. And when it isn't, I can buy a bigger set up then. And since this is forum with a lot of Taig, Sherline, and Sieg mini-machine users, I thought I'd ask this question. Will I regret setting up shop with the Taig to start with, and if so, why? And if you are a Taig or Sherline user that found yourself size-limited, how long did that take, and do you regret starting at the micro level? And finally, if you were trying to just learn basic machining skills, what projects would you consider starting with?

If you read this far, thank you. I look forward to reading your comments.

Hello,

i have a lathe very simmilar to the one your looking at, they are clones of emco 8's

i can do quite a lot on it , the size is ok for smaller parts, this of course depends on your idears of small and large.

i am currently re setting up my older lathe as i want to do seconday tasks and for some tasks i do find the emco boxyness to be quite infuriating, i seem to always be blocked from whare i would like to put a dial indicator.

also the square type of multi tool holding toolposts are (for me any how) awfull. I much prefer the older style of single tool holder or the awsome quick change tool posts. I think every time i have actualy left more than one tool in it i've cut my hamd on the one i'm not using.

if your just starting out and unsure if you will keep at it i would recomend a second hand lathe to start with. Also if you manage to have a learner fail you wont be so upset with yourself for destrying your new (expensive) pride and joy.

Also the advantage of second hand for a compleatly new to machining person is any tooling thay may be included as it can be quite confusing deciding what you realy need and what would be a nice handy thing(and what is no good at all ;-)

A slightly larger lathe can take on many tasks that you may otherwise use a milling machine for.

Hope that helps in some way.

ps you could always make a rep rat 3d printer as a project their quite computer centric and the parts should be ok done with smaller lathe/mill/drill press.

Stuart

Cap, as I read your thread I could totally empathize with your thoughts. Its really hard to know which way to go when you don't even know what you want to make, let alone if you'll even enjoy making it. I don't know how things will turn out but I am willing to bet that you will not only love this hobby but will become hopelessly addicted to it like the rest of us hapless guys!

I won't overstep and tell you what others will suggest but, for me, a small shop fits right in with all the other things I do. I have a very wide range of interests and hobby machining, while very important and enjoyable, is not the only thing I enjoy. In other words, I don't machine stuff just to machine stuff; I do it to support my other interests as well. If you anticipate making things on the smaller end of the scale then a mini-shop might just suit your needs.

I own a Sherline lathe and mill. This certainly qualifies as small. While I haven't exceeded the capacity of my machines I've come damned close. Still, they allow me to make almost anything I need. Larger machines can do larger pieces and maybe do it faster but I can't see that they do it better. In my opinion, a small lathe and mill is a great way to find out if you like metal working. If you do and you find that they're too small you can sell them and move up. If you don't then you aren't out a ton of money.

I have never used Taig machines but know that many guys produce some amazing work on them. If they meet your anticipated needs then I say go for it. I would also consider Sherline, not because it is better but because they sell almost any accessory you could need and they have good support for their products. I cannot speak to the Asian machines and I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Regardless of which way you go, welcome to the forum. There is a great wealth of knowledge here and the members have been so great. I have yet to see a new guy ask a question and get harangued for it so ask away and someone will help.

Best of luck,

Mikey

First of all, don't underestimate what the small machines can do. They can really work on some rather large pieces. Just not all at one time. The Taig and Sherline are wonderful machines. I went with the SIEG . The main reason was threading for the lathe. For the mill I went with the X2, being able to use R8 tooling which is cheap. The SIEG are a mixed bag. The LMS and Micromark are best of breed on them. I went with the cheap end at HF. Not unhappy with the choice but the others are more ready to go out of the box. The Real Bull lathe that Big Dog sells comes highly recommended as well. If I were going with something bigger, I would lean towards the Precision Mathews lathes. Heard nothing but good about them other than it can take a while to get them.

Between the Sherline and the Taig, I would probably lean towards the Taig just because I like tinkering. The Sherlines are nice as well but a bit short on capacity. Well, I don't know that for sure other than my X2 is bigger than the Sherline and Taig and I am pretty cramped at times. Drilling is the biggest place to get cramped really quickly. By the time you have a chuck, drill bit, clamping or vise, there just is not that much room left for a workpiece.

Sounds to me like you need to make some chips before you go doing anymore thinking. I would buy the cheapest of the options you've presented and see if I even enjoy machining before drawing up blueprints of the garage, where all your machine tools will be located.

I say this because I could totally relate to your whole post. I was there not too long ago. I was going to buy a smithy, then a couple of taigs, then a smithy, then a big lathe and a bridgeport, then a CNC mill, then back to smithy. I finally got damn sick of planning and scrapping and planning and scrapping and I just made an impulse purchase. I ended up buying an old Logan lathe. I love it. I probably would have loved it the same if I bought a mill instead, or a smithy, or any of the other options (though most of them would have broken the bank). Anyway, point is you just have to start somewhere. Gotta take the plunge. and there IS a chance that you won't love it as much as you think you will (I've had other hobbies turn out that way) so I say take the cheapest route.

Thanks for your responses. It helped me make up my mind. I'm purchased a Taig Lathe this morning, and will purchase a Taig CNC-ready mill after the lathe arrives and is installed, and I have a chance to play with it a bit. Thanks for letting me be part of your group.

Good move and I suspect you'll have the presence of mind to what you can and cannot do on that machine.

Lot's of guys buy a smaller lathe and try to machine big stuff. As long as you use it for it's intended purpose, you can do cool stuff with it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your responses. It helped me make up my mind. I'm purchased a Taig Lathe this morning, and will purchase a Taig CNC-ready mill after the lathe arrives and is installed, and I have a chance to play with it a bit. Thanks for letting me be part of your group.

I also think you are taking the right path. You will soon find out if you need larger. If you do, you can always upgrade and you can either keep what you have or sell.

Good luck and have fun.

Great way to start. Check the resale on them anyway, just for kicks. My bet is they are easy to turn around if you build a nice looking setup, making it a no loss or low loss way to learn. On Taig's, to a greater degree than Sherlines, you determine how it runs and what it looks like.

I kept my Sherline mill which I started on! But resold the mint condition lathe and accessories for bigger machines years later. I bought them mint, used on EBay, and resold them for almost the same!

Bernie

According to everythng that I have gathered around the internet, Taig machines are worthy tools in their own arena. The Taig website has great links to other sites to make toolng of all kinds. I believe that kind of percentage of satisfied customers has great merritt. I also read that customer service is excellent! There are instructional books, and videos galore that can be applied to these diminuative wonders.

Back