Why not a Taig workshop?

captvalk,

I have a Sherline 4 axis CNC mill and lathe, and an LMC model 3900 mini-mill. Don't want anything bigger, don't want to make anything bigger than what I can on these -- don't want to work that hard, don't want to lift anything that heavy. Been there, done that: spent 30 years in a 20,000 sq. ft. machine shop making spaceships. Now retired to a 200 sq. ft. home machine shop making clocks and model engines.

San Clemente is only about a half hour drive to the Sherline factory in Vista, CA. I strongly recommend you pay a visit, tour the facility, talk to the nice people, oogle the Craftmanship Museum. I promise you won't regret it, no matter what you end up buying. For that matter, you're only a little over an hour to LMS in Pasadena. I'd certainly go see them as well.

David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

Thanks for your responses. It helped me make up my mind. I'm purchased a Taig Lathe this morning, and will purchase a Taig CNC-ready mill after the lathe arrives and is installed, and I have a chance to play with it a bit. Thanks for letting me be part of your group.

Congrats on your new Taig. I think it's a great way to start. I have had a larger (7" swing) lathe for years and recently bought a Sherline. It's really fun! And you might check out the So. Calif.Home Shop Machinists club in Torrance. Here's a link:http://www.schsm.org/
Maurice

Congrats on your new Taig. I think it's a great way to start. I have had a larger (7" swing) lathe for years and recently bought a Sherline. It's really fun! And you might check out the So. Calif.Home Shop Machinists club in Torrance. Here's a link:http://www.schsm.org/
Maurice

Thanks for the reference. I've contacted SCHSM to see if they could put me in touch with hobby machinists in South Orange County, but I have never received a reply. Unfortunately, Torrance is quite a drive, but I'll still try to make it occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

captvalk,

I have a Sherline 4 axis CNC mill and lathe, and an LMC model 3900 mini-mill. Don't want anything bigger, don't want to make anything bigger than what I can on these -- don't want to work that hard, don't want to lift anything that heavy. Been there, done that: spent 30 years in a 20,000 sq. ft. machine shop making spaceships. Now retired to a 200 sq. ft. home machine shop making clocks and model engines.

San Clemente is only about a half hour drive to the Sherline factory in Vista, CA. I strongly recommend you pay a visit, tour the facility, talk to the nice people, oogle the Craftmanship Museum. I promise you won't regret it, no matter what you end up buying. For that matter, you're only a little over an hour to LMS in Pasadena. I'd certainly go see them as well.

David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

Great recommendation. I forgot that it was so close to me. I'll go down there next week. As for LMS, I didn't think they had a retail store. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Terry Allen (San Clemente)

Thanks for the reference. I've contacted SCHSM to see if they could put me in touch with hobby machinists in South Orange County, but I have never received a reply. Unfortunately, Torrance is quite a drive, but I'll still try to make it occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Great recommendation. I forgot that it was so close to me. I'll go down there next week. As for LMS, I didn't think they had a retail store. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Terry Allen (San Clemente)

See: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/store.php They have a showroom, and tours can be arrainged.

David Clark

It's been about 5 months since I purchased my Taig mill and lathe. I'm still a newby, but now I'm slightly more experienced. The best thing I did was to enroll in Orange Coast Community College in Costa Mesa, Ca where I took an Introduction to Machines class to learn basic milling and lathe skills, and am now taking a more advanced lathe class. I have been able to do all the projects for the big lathe/mill at school on my Taig, although it usually takes a lot longer. Admittedly, most of our projects are on work pieces that are only 2 to 6 inches long, so that is right up the Taig's alley, although sometimes I have to be inventive on my setup. For example, I had to machine an extended tail stock to complete one of my projects (that was useful modification, as I have used it several times since.). I'm glad I bought the Taig, although I can see where I might outgrow it in a year or two. I plan to convert the mill to CNC next year. In the meantime, I am learning a lot. And I have so many tools and accessories for the Taig, I may just stick with it. Thanks again to all that provided me with advice.

Thread is old, but I wanted to add I bought a taig lathe a little over a year ago. Newbie at metalworking, but the tool has really stood up to the rigors of me learning on it.

Nice site, Gerrit, looks like you're having a great time- :thumbsup:

Dave

Back