[How do I?] Will this cut mild steel?

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am thinking about making a dog driver out of mild steel, wondering whether this will cut the metal. Contingency is use aluminum bar stock.

The other photo is what I am thinking about duplicating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-202734_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-202734_Chrome.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20200328-205005_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200328-205005_Chrome.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 78
I have often used wood router bits as a substitute for radius cutters. Mind you for only aluminum thus far. The carbide is ground to a very keen edge such that they can cut very aggressively into wood, high chip load per cutting edge. This consequently makes them brittle for metal cutting , simply use a diamond file and hone to make the edge sharp but less keen. Then take a correspondingly slow cutting rate.

i would think that at low speed and light feed , the tool should cut mild steel- it has carbide faces

With a small shank cutter you risk twisting off the shank when cutting steel. Actually, the job could be done quite nicely with a hacksaw and a file.

Thank you all. I am looking for a stouter shank with a cutter at that included angle, can't find any.

Maybe I will just settle on aluminum pieces.

With a small shank cutter you risk twisting off the shank when cutting steel. Actually, the job could be done quite nicely with a hacksaw and a file.

Hacking away with my bad shoulders is just not comfortable.

As far as the cutter working, yes, no problem. I use router bits in all materials when the need arises. But the problem is the 1/4 shank. That's pretty light for that much cutter. With absolute minimum stick out it might work if you don't get greedy with the cut.

If you can live with 135 deg then this might be a better choice. https://www.amanatool.com/45791-car...p-width-x-3-4-dia-x-1-2-x-1-2-inch-shank.html

Could you use a right angle grinder with a metal cutting blade to cut the “V” out?

Back