[How do I?] Will this cut mild steel?

Just a comment, not an experienced user of the idea. I do a lot of wood work and a middlin' amount of metal work. I don't trust a 1/4 inch router bit for some hardwoods, never mind metals. 1/2 inch bits could conceivably be used for metal working but I personally would want a very slow feed. I do go the other way, using milling cutters for wood. But then, I'm self taught and tend toward the conservative side.

It looks like flat bar with a V cut, a couple of bolt holes and rods welded on.
I'd cut the V with an endmill using an electronic angle gauge or a plane old angle block.
Cut one side and reverse to cut other side.
Do the bolt holes.
Weld the rods on.

Most don't have 2 rods.
They put the bolts opposite ways. This makes the flat pieces identical when producing them.
I would put the bolts through from the same direction to make it much faster to clamp on. So one flat would have threaded holes the other clearance holes.

It looks like flat bar with a V cut, a couple of bolt holes and rods welded on.
I'd cut the V with an endmill using an electronic angle gauge or a plane old angle block.
Cut one side and reverse to cut other side.
Do the bolt holes.
Weld the rods on.

Most don't have 2 rods.
They put the bolts opposite ways. This makes the flat pieces identical when producing them.
I would put the bolts through from the same direction to make it much faster to clamp on. So one flat would have threaded holes the other clearance holes.

I agree. Will do it this way

You could just buy one of these:

Yes, but where's the fun in that?
We've already established that a machinist will spend 4-5 hours building something he can buy for $5.

I have a complete set of those, just do not care for them.

I forgot myself, sorry. Well then, symmetrical parts, stacked side by side, against a stop, with the outer side angled to the vice bottom, and fly cut to layout line 1/2 of the included angle. Flip 180 degrees horizontally, and cut the remaining part of the angle.

I've used 1/2 in. shank router bits to radius mild steel. Works perfectly.

I had no idea you could use router bits for doing operations like that. I have drawers of router bits, since I have been woodworking for about 30 years.
Seems like the RPM is quite low and the DOC is also shallow. Any idea what you were running for that cut?

Back