Wilton Bullet Vise

@682bear

Your ball turner seems to work well. Is there a build thread?
I would like to know whether or not you used bearings (what type/size) to support the arbor or does the arbor simply turn in the bore of the holder.

I did mention it in this thread...

(I hope I did the link correctly)...

I did not use any type of bearing in my turner... it is just a 'snug slip fit' in the boring bar holder... I used a chinesium holder and bored it just enough to get a good, clean, straight hole, (as manufactured, the offshore holder was neither round or straight) then machined the arbor to fit. It does work pretty well.

-Bear

This morning I cut the material for the handle to length and turned both ends to be a tap fit in the handle ends. I tapped one end on, welded it to the handle, then slipped the handle into the end of the vise screw. I then tapped the other end onto the handle and welded it. Finally, I hand blended the excess weld off and polished the ends...

20220604_094708.jpg

20220604_094621.jpg

20220604_094610.jpg

I think it came out pretty good... now I need to machine a set of jaw plates and this vise will be finished... for now.

-Bear

Hummmm double post… weird…

Anyway… I really need to redo the one in mine. Was great to see one method of making one
:eagerness:

A very fine vise you have there.

I wonder if that would be a type of failure that Wilton sees often?
Love to see a video of what happened to it.

Looks like it was cracked for awhile looking at the old rust areas.

Back