Winch plate

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Today I mounted a 12 volt winch on a piece of 1/4 inch plate and bored a large hole on one end. The purpose of making
this is to be able to move heavy objects around in the shop. I added a few vertical pipes level with the floor when I poured the concrete
just for this purpose. If I have to wrangle a mill or lathe or some other heavy piece of machinery into the shop, it will be very
handy to have some holes to pull against. P1020877.JPG
For lighter jobs, a come along would work fine too. The white pipe affair on the right is to use with the come along or can be inserted
into the hole in the winch and to the floor hole. I went with the blue rope which has an unbelievable strength of over 8000 pounds
rather than using a steel cable. It wasn't particularly expensive and very nice to install on the winch. This winch will freewheel
so will be pretty handy when the need arises. P1020878.JPG
Yup, that's a photo of one of the holes in the concrete!:grin:

I can see a use for stretching something between two holes, probably for straightening something...

Great idea.

Do you have covers for the holes in the floor so that they do not fill up with "stuff" over time? Or a drain in the bottom so that any water can drain out?

Great idea.

Do you have covers for the holes in the floor so that they do not fill up with "stuff" over time? Or a drain in the bottom so that any water can drain out?

No, I have not made covers yet but that would probably be a good thing to do. Of course one could
give the holes a blast of air to clean them out if needed.

If you have a heavy item, or something stubborn, rope stretch is an issue, and remember line of fire. :)

I nail my winch to the floor with wedge anchors. I drill completely through the slab so when I am done I can drive the anchors flush with the floor.

If you have a heavy item, or something stubborn, rope stretch is an issue, and remember line of fire. :)
These new synthetic winch lines, have almost no stretch, and if cut, will just drop in place. no snap, swing, sling, or what ever. After years of handling winch cables, and being taught to treat them with respect, I was amazed to see a synthetic one get caught, snap, and drop like it had no tension on it what so ever and was just dropped where it was. The prices have also come down, where they are not budget killers to get.

The other big advantage, they will not kink, or bind when not layered right.

When I was looking at the real estate listing for my current house/shop, I saw that it mentioned "pull pots" in the shop floor. Had to ask the seller what the heck a pull pot is. Turns out, they're a matrix of stout anchor points, used to pull and straighten car frames. The seller built and raced dirt cars. Lots of trophies all over the house when we went there for our first looky-loo.

I'm not a car guy, but if I ever sell the property, I'll be sure to mention this handy feature on the listing. There are two types, interspersed. The lid of the smaller one is labelled "Champ Frame Straightening Equip. Inc."
. kHPIM0386.jpg

kHPIM0388.jpg

Back