Winch plate

Today I mounted a 12 volt winch on a piece of 1/4 inch plate and bored a large hole on one end. The purpose of making
this is to be able to move heavy objects around in the shop. I added a few vertical pipes level with the floor when I poured the concrete
just for this purpose. If I have to wrangle a mill or lathe or some other heavy piece of machinery into the shop, it will be very
handy to have some holes to pull against. View attachment 344087
For lighter jobs, a come along would work fine too. The white pipe affair on the right is to use with the come along or can be inserted
into the hole in the winch and to the floor hole. I went with the blue rope which has an unbelievable strength of over 8000 pounds
rather than using a steel cable. It wasn't particularly expensive and very nice to install on the winch. This winch will freewheel
so will be pretty handy when the need arises. View attachment 344090
Yup, that's a photo of one of the holes in the concrete!:grin:

I can see a use for stretching something between two holes, probably for straightening something...
Nice idea. I saw that used for frame straightening a long time ago. The aircraft carrier I was on had pockets with cross bars for holding things in place. They were also used to anchor the cable sheaves used to control the lines during refueling at sea. Tension was maintained by 6 guys on the line to the capstan which turned all the time. One day in rough seas the crew didn't back off tension fast enough and the cross bars snapped. It cut the leg off of a sailor as the cable flew across the deck. Watch out for tensioned lines or bungees.

My dad once told about the need to move some huge machine tool across the floor in a manufacturing plant. This was before WWII when he worked as an apprentice toolmaker. They were stumped about how to do it when they came across the idea of buying a crate of bananas and smearing them over the floor. The tool was much easer to move, but the shop smelled of banana for a month. :p

I've heard that bananas are also great for noisy transmissions :)

In this country, snow is great for moving in heavy machines. Some years ago, we slid my Monarch 14C into the
shop using an sheet of 1/8 inch plate(sled) under the lathe after shoveling in an inch or two onto the shop floor.
Once in the shop, I turned up the heat and the snow all melted away. Then It was inched into it's present spot
using hydraulic jacks and pry bars. The floor drain in the center of the shop had a covered hole big enough to
install a pole to pull against and using just a come along to drag the Monarch into the shop. That experience
gave me good reason to install pipes in my new floor.

By golly ... snow DOES have a practical purpose!!! :)

Back