Wiring a Square D drum switch to a Westinghouse cap start motor?

I have all that plus the vertical spindle and the slotting attachment and the feed table, which I bought seperately. Also have the dividing attachment that fits in the back end of the lathe spindle. I have thought that the vertical attachment might have application for thread milling, but thus far, no need has arisen. With all my other machinery, there is really no need for it, will likely sell it someday.

James: It should have worked- can you post some more pictures of the wiring with and without the drum switch?
It's possible the drum switch is faulty, it's always a possibility with used equipment. You might need to do a continuity test on it
-Mark

Last edited:
here's another photo of the motor in the original configuration,
50891407412_aef57e18c1_c.jpg

The two white leads to the right are connected to the toggle switch this motor is usually equipped with. Somehow, I need to add these to the diagram.
The drum switch works correctly, it's just a matter of the motor wiring.
-James Huston

So if you put power to the two white wires the motor will run?
Or do you connect the power leads to the upper and lower studs and only use the white ones for a toggle? (ignoring the drum switch for now)
I'm trying to understand where those two white wires connect in the motor and if they are the "line" wires shown on the motor data plate
-M

Last edited:
Like this?

Attachments

• westing4.jpeg
    westing4.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The two wires are the line wires.
-James Huston

Back