Wiring problems with a Busy Bee DF-1237G (DF1224G) lathe

That depends on the voltage transformer that's used on the lathe. The transformer on my mill has 110V & 220V inputs which is consistent of it's specs, can run on either. My lathe on the other hand is not listed as being capable on running on 110V. Sure enough, the transformer on my lathe only has inputs for 220V & higher, no 110V input.

Now that the OP has stated it had a 110V plug on it who knows, but then again someone could have cared less & wired up a NEMA 5-15 outlet for 220V. Best thing to do is look at the transformer inside the control panel & see what inputs voltages it supports.

I went out to my shop and looked more carefully at the wiring and contrary to what "Busy Bee" said, it can be run as 110 or 220V. I took some pictures of the wiring on the lathe. Maybe this will make more sense to someone else.

Motor.jpg Transformer.jpg Wires on motor.jpg

I agree. The first thing you need to do is move the transformer wire that is currently on 220 over to the 110 terminal. That will set up the control voltage for your 110.

It looks like the wires are labeled on the grommet. I see a W and a Z, but I can't see the other 3 labels. I was not able to match up the wire colors with any picture on the internet. Is there a wiring diagram on the inside of the wiring cover for the motor? Or maybe another data plate on the motor?

I agree. The first thing you need to do is move the transformer wire that is currently on 220 over to the 110 terminal. That will set up the control voltage for your 110.

It looks like the wires are labeled on the grommet. I see a W and a Z, but I can't see the other 3 labels. I was not able to match up the wire colors with any picture on the internet. Is there a wiring diagram on the inside of the wiring cover for the motor? Or maybe another data plate on the motor?

No, there is no other wiring diagram. The cover from the receptacle on the motor probably had a diagram inside it, but it didn't come with the lathe. The three pictures above is all that I have to work with.

I suggest taking the motor to your local motor shop. There they can map the wiring for both voltages.
Pierre

I can't find any information on that motor given the data I have to work with. Is there a manufacturer name on the motor, model number? If you could move the wires around a bit, and see what the labels on the grommet say, that might help.

It's a bit of an odd one with only 5 wires coming out, I would expect to see 7 wires. There must be some other internal connections. Failing everything else, if you feel like a bit of a road trip, there is a good motor rewind shop in Kitchener. I've used them before, they do servos and drives as well as regular motors. I can't remember the name. They may be able to help you sort it out.

Under the covers, into the transformer "0" "110",motor match ups 13-U,24-V,5-M5, 6-M6 ,sorry I don't have the skills to load a photo.

Thanks for all your replies. Personally, I am lost with all the connections particularly with the transformer and motor protection circuitry. I had a electrician over yesterday to look at it and he could not figure it out either, so he is bringing in a electric motor repair person. They will probably be removing the motor and taking it back to the electrical motor shop. I will let you know if it ever does start to run.
Oh, for anyone buying a used lathe, mill, etc. don't put your money down until you personally see it run and don't have the "wiring" disconnected before you get it home.

Did you find the numbers, from the transformer to the relays to the motor, that I found on the cover?

Guess what ? The most likely thing wrong with used equipment is the electrics, certainly the Taiwanese ,and the Chinese are said to be worse. You have cabinetmakers and machinists repairing wiring. Since this spring when I retired , I have bought and am repairing five machines and sold the two that were replaced. Of the five, four had electrical issues. One was fairly serious, a 18amp 3hp wood shaper turned on by a 20 amp light switch, ouch. A HD light switch is good on a fractional motor, but a heavy draw 3hp?

My DF1224g is getting VFD and a 3phase motor,but I'm lucky my son is a industrial electrician, and a bright one at that.

good luck
Ray

I replaced the motor and control box inside junk with a VFD and a 3 ph motor. The reverse was not working and having a soft start was one of the major goals for the conversion, I have a threaded spindle on my lathe. I am used to VFDs at work and really think they should be standard equipment in lots of cases.
Pierre

Did you find the numbers, from the transformer to the relays to the motor, that I found on the cover?

Guess what ? The most likely thing wrong with used equipment is the electrics, certainly the Taiwanese ,and the Chinese are said to be worse. You have cabinetmakers and machinists repairing wiring. Since this spring when I retired , I have bought and am repairing five machines and sold the two that were replaced. Of the five, four had electrical issues. One was fairly serious, a 18amp 3hp wood shaper turned on by a 20 amp light switch, ouch. A HD light switch is good on a fractional motor, but a heavy draw 3hp?

My DF1224g is getting VFD and a 3phase motor,but I'm lucky my son is a industrial electrician, and a bright one at that.

good luck
Ray

No Ray, I didn't find the numbers that you mentioned. The only things I can see are in the photo's I put in my previous message.
My son is also a industrial electrician, but he is not interested in helping me out with my problem. I guess a lot of sons are like that today.

Back