WJ200 Jog with 3-wire control

93xs2003

Registered
Registered
If I configure a WJ200 with 3-wire input, as well as a momentary input for JOG,
will the F/R input from the 3-wire control direction while under JOG command?

. . . if not, how would I configure for 3-wire control as well as bi-direction JOG?

I have done this with 3-wire control but it is complicated as you are basically giving a run command, a direction command and a speed command at the same time. When releasing the jog switch it break these command. The JOG command on the WJ200 basically is just a speed control that over-rides the speed pot setting. So if say your machine was running and the JOG input was activated it would run at 6Hz. I typically use 2 wire control with latching relays that operate like 3 wire control. JOG bidirectional is run off of 2 wire control.

Not sure I follow- what happens after the relay pulls and latches? Does that defeat the jog?

Last edited:
Is this for a mill or a lathe? It is usually easier to implement with 2 wire control and I use two relays powered by the VFD that latch in the direction you chose. I do have a 3 wire control schematic for the mill but it requires a 3 position switch for Forward-Stop-Reverse and the JOG only works in the stop position.

[EDIT]
Mksj - For lathe

This is 2-wire, with latching relay to maintain run condition.
i.e. my interpretation of your suggestion above "2 wire control with latching relays that operate like 3 wire control."

Momentary start button latches relay, and triggers RUN/FWD or RUN/REV depending on downstream selector switch.
Jog is disabled while start relay is latched.

Stop, E-stop, or proximity sensor unlatches relay, stopping run condition.
Jog is enabled when only relay is unlatched.

Mark S.
Only one relay in upper right. Relay is SPDT.

Lower right is a three position selector switch with spring return to center from both sides (MOM-OFF-MOM) backed by 4 NO blocks. . . .
So center off. Twist left closes JOG and RUN/FWD. Twist right closed JOG and RUN/REV. Only enabled when Start/Stop relay is not latched on.

Last edited:
OK - and the diode prevents energizing the relay in jog- correct?

It should work as 2 wire control, but should you hit the jog button while it is running it will activate the jog speed. I have 2 relay latching designs that operate with 2 wire control and 3 momentary buttons for forward stop reverse, and a separate button/toggle for jog which will only work when both relays are unlatched (i.e. in the stop mode). I put together some untested schematics using 3 wire control and either a 3 way sustained switch for direction or a switch to select run or jog. They operate under the principle that they are two separate circuits and only one can operate at a time based on a mechanical switch. You can either us the jog input for frequency or an input programmed for a specific Hz. On a lathe I generally do not use 3 wire control unless it is a clutch drive.

CVA Control Enclosure.jpg

Attachments

• 3 Wire Mill Control With JOG for WJ200.pdf
    196.1 KB · Views: 5
Start button energizes latching relay. Control transitions to run mode.
START.png

Run mode: Relay latched. Selector switch in FWD.
Lathe runs and maintains in FWD. Stop / EMO / or Proxy will terminate run mode. (Jog is disabled while in run mode)
RUN.png

Jog mode: relay unlatched and in NC position, Jog enabled.
Jog selector switch in FWD/RUN & JOG (momentary),
diode D2 prevents relay backfeed & latchup
JOG.png

Proximity stop will leave relay latched. Will need to hit stop to open relay before jogging backward.
It could be moved up to the trace between L and relay, but then it would allow forward Jog, when at proximity limit.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow- what happens after the relay pulls and latches? Does that defeat the jog?
Start button latches relay. Lathe is then running in fwd or reverse depending on FWD/REV selector switch, until stop inrtupts relay.

Jog is disabled when running, but that is secondary.

Back