Wm210v threading gears

weston1968

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member

This is a basic program to calculate the best gears for use on the Chinese lathes. I have ordered a wm210v. I have ordered both the imperial gears and metric gears used in the program. You can add or subtract any gears.

The program does not check fit of the gears but gives many possibilities. It shows both the imperial and metric thread at the same time. I used this for my Logan lathe and stripped it down for the WM210V.

My assumptions are spindle gear 56T and Feed is shaft thread 1.5mm.

Last edited:
I have modified the program to check that the string of gears do not interfere with each other. I also output the total length of the string of gears because I have not yet received my lathe and do not know the center to center of spindle to lead screw gear. I assume that it is different for 7" and 8" lathes an must have a range of acceptable length. I also thought that a very short string could just add a 20T gear in series and reverse the direction of the feed to get left handed threads. I found lots of different gears on aliexpress and ordered some 20T gears to try and get left handed threading.

I just got in my lathe. I fixed all of the bugs in the program. I found with some extra gears I got at Aliexpress that I can do left had threading which means uses an extra 20T gear to reverse feed direction. It is much easier to understand where the gears go. My lathe has a 56T spindle gear. You will have to change the spindle gear size and min gear string length in the program (very easy and obvious) You can add or subtract gears in the program, also very easy.

Last edited:
Just got lathe today and found that the Lead Screw is 2mm not 1.5mm. Programs have been upgraded to V4 and Lead Screw pitch is now a variable you can change.

I'm curious how this works out for you. I had that same lathe and found the power feed next to useless because it moved too fast. This was while using the gears that come with the machine, though. Maybe your new gears will improve that situation.

You can get gears cheap at AliExpress.com. I bought an Imperial set for $78 and a very nice nine piece set for $38 and you can get 20T for $6. My program can take overnight to get all gear settings for any given thread with the number of gears I have. It is a brute force program so every gear added to the list doubles the time. Since I was not interested in accuracy of feed rate I put in a high TPI for Imperial and got back 114 TPI almost immediately, when I added an additional 20T to the list I got 285 TPI, which should be fine for getting a smooth surface. Maximum TPI was 304 with the 84/80/80/20/20 gears. If you have the 21mm bore version through the headstock you have to change from 56T to 40T (easy to do) "SpindleGear=56" in the program. I also found that there is enough room for a direction change gear so you can reverse the feed and cut left hand threads.

I bought all of these gears before the machine arrived. All Chinese documentation was awful, I had to make measurements on the lathe because there is a minimum length to the change gear string, gears must reach from the lead screw to the spindle gear. There also is a maximum length to the change gear string limited by the slot in the gear arm. I take all of this into account and verify the gears do not interfere with each other (top and bottom) and fit. You can use the program to purchase only the gears needed for your task. It is very easy to define your own gears.

You can keep checking back at my link in the first post for program updates. If I find another bug/improvement I will update the program and its version number. Right now my program requires use of five gears. I do not know if is worth the effort to calculate a string with a smaller number of gears.

Last edited:
I'm curious how this works out for you. I had that same lathe and found the power feed next to useless because it moved too fast. This was while using the gears that come with the machine, though. Maybe your new gears will improve that situation.
I think I know why. The 40T spindle lathe does not come with large gears. The 56T spindle lathe comes with two 80T and one 84T gear.

I think I know why. The 40T spindle lathe does not come with large gears. The 56T spindle lathe comes with two 80T and one 84T gear.

I bought a motor and motor controller, and was planning to drive the screw from the end by the tail stock. This wouldn't work for threading, obviously, but I just wanted a useful feed speed for turning. Never got around to hooking everything up, though. Regarding the spindle gear, I don't remember.

I bought a motor and motor controller, and was planning to drive the screw from the end by the tail stock. This wouldn't work for threading, obviously, but I just wanted a useful feed speed for turning. Never got around to hooking everything up, though. Regarding the spindle gear, I don't remember.
This gear set 80/80/45/20 would give you a nice feed rate with much less work

I sold the lathe. I'm not sure those gears would fit inside the cover, though. And to be honest, with the gears that came with the machine, any time they were engaged the machine rattled like nuts in a coffee can. I moved the gear rack away from the drive gear to reduce noise.

I sold the lathe. I'm not sure those gears would fit inside the cover, though. And to be honest, with the gears that came with the machine, any time they were engaged the machine rattled like nuts in a coffee can. I moved the gear rack away from the drive gear to reduce noise.
It seems to be luck of the draw. The machine I bought from Intbuying ( Ecoss ) from Amazon has no vibration or rattles, the gears are high quality, all parts are made from steel. I could not measure any runout on the faceplate and the chuck TIR was .0015" with a 1" bar. I did have to readjust the whole machine, assembly from the factory was so bad that it would not have run. Hard for me to find anything wrong with it. There are many factories that make this machine in both India and China.

Back