Wonder What This Is Really Worth

Where I worked in the mid 80s there was an Enco mill similar to what OP has. I assume the table casting was fairly soft. It had worn to the point where the table was very tight t the ends of its travel and very sloppy in the middle. In my opinion that condition negates much of its value.

i believe that this might be the same seller that we discussed another machine that he was trying to sell.. and most said to not walk but run from that guy.. i am interested, if it is a good machine.. this person is offering to "deliver" the machine at a fair rate too..

Used machinery is like used cars, go to a lot and he might have a good one next to a lemon.....inspection is the key BEFORE negotiating a price and don't be pressured because "he has someone else interested"

Used machinery is like used cars, go to a lot and he might have a good one next to a lemon.....inspection is the key BEFORE negotiating a price and don't be pressured because "he has someone else interested"
oh yeah.. hear that line all the time.. "have someone else interested"..

Where I worked in the mid 80s there was an Enco mill similar to what OP has. I assume the table casting was fairly soft. It had worn to the point where the table was very tight t the ends of its travel and very sloppy in the middle. In my opinion that condition negates much of its value.
This happens to ALL machines except those using a linear bearing.

This happens to ALL machines except those using a linear bearing.
There are a lot of plain way machines with either hardened steel ways that bolt on which can last nearly forever if wipers and oiling are kept up, or flame/induction hardened cast iron which have a much longer life than just as machine cast iron.

i am reconsidering on this and will go look at it.. esp now that i have cash to buy a mill with..
Somebody got their tax refund I'd wager. Lol
I personally don't like it when someone repaints a machine just to sell it. But I usually repaint my machines, so it's not like everybody who does it is dishonest. But a saying from my "smithing" days was "beware the painted lady." This being a reference to a piece of iron, resembling an anvil that has been painted. Paint can hide a lot. In this case, I don't think he painted anything that shouldn't be painted. So I regard it as zero sum. The paint didn't add any value, but it didn't make it worth less either. If I planned to restore it, then another layer of paint would be a deal breaker. The only thing worse than painting, for me, is taking paint off.
I hope it checks out for ya! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Not a bad price now-a-days. As said above just make sure it isn't totally clapped out. I would have preferred it with out the crap paint job. Just more work to do it right. Mike

Back