Would you buy....

You are completely right. This is why the current owner is dumping it. I'd love to have an old/strong, not Chinese mill...but not if it's a paperweight. I'm looking at Grizzly and P.M. while watching Craigslist. It kills me that I missed out pre-tariff @ Grizzly and the great deal with P.M on Amazon. SO MANY nice/older machines available if I lived in the great lakes/east coast area. I have to be quick with Craigslist, 24 hours and he better stuff is GONE!

You are completely right. This is why the current owner is dumping it. I'd love to have an old/strong, not Chinese mill...but not if it's a paperweight. I'm looking at Grizzly and P.M. while watching Craigslist. It kills me that I missed out pre-tariff @ Grizzly and the great deal with P.M on Amazon. SO MANY nice/older machines available if I lived in the great lakes/east coast area. I have to be quick with Craigslist, 24 hours and he better stuff is GONE!
Heck, at least you do not live in a machine tool desert (Yea, I know you are close). I picked up my Fosdick drill press from near you. My mill, I hauled back from Salt Lake city. This last South Bend, I drove over 2 hrs south of me. Here, if you do not catch a tool within 1/2 hr of its posting, forgot it.

Definitely better pickings on the East coast. About ten years back, I moved here from Pa. I set some of my good friends up with some good tools, rather then moving them out here, thinking I could easily replace them. Still workin on it.

It's strange, but I feel like if I could hold out for a Bridgeport or the likes, I'd get a better machine and a decent start on tooling/accessories. I have the cash in my safe for a random purchase like that, but having to go rent a uhaul trailer first, takes the spontaneity out of a first come first serve purchase like that.

Yea, having a trailer helps.

Sucks to rent a Uhaul, and end up not wanting it. Or worse, renting the Uhaul, and drive for 2 hours, and have the seller call, and say it was just sold. Had both happen to me.

Thats basically the rong fu, 30 or what ever the magic number is. I have a similar, but much more used, and worn mill. For a hobbyist, it can do a lot. Price initially seems a bit high, but it does look hardly used. so ??? Changing belts gets old, maybe a treadmill motor conversion in the future.

It looks like they only used it as a fancy drill. You would be better getting a set of R8 colets, or an R8 to ER40 chuck, and set of ER40 colets (thats how I use mine).

Definitely worth taking a look, if you can be the first responder.

I think the lead screw, and nuts, are the biggest wear items. Check the backlash, and how smooth the table moves. It would not be a deal breaker, as they are easy to get. Could be a bargaining point.

If you are looking at projects bigger then a six pack, I would hold off for a bigger mill. But small projects, even with the round column, are easy to do. I use my rung foo probably about the same amount as the Van Norman. Its smaller, and easier to set up.

Yeah, that chuck looks WIMPY...that would have to go. A good chuck...$300 ish. A round column i don't want, but if I can get a good deal...(I don't think $1400 is a good deal) 2 hp and has a large (way bigger than most I've been looking at) table travel. Doesn't really come with anything of value.

I have the RF 40. I do not consider the round column that big of a deal. The spindle stays 90 degs to the table, The only thing you loose is the exact X-Y position. Mine was well worn. I got it for $600, and have probably about another $500 in seals, a lead screw, nut, handle, and gib locks.

Back