Wow, so many VIP's dying in the last few days.

Don't worry, India and China are maintaining the Malthusian exponential growth curve as predicted.
India maybe, China is collapsing due to the one child policy and parents killing that child if it was a girl in order to get a son.
I'd link to Zeihan's discussion on that topic but it's exactly what got me in trouble before.

Most of those that I saw had passed were at least into their 90’s. Maybe at 89, I’ll feel differently, but I think they all had a pretty good run. Most likely by the time I would be 90, I will have been dead for 13 years.

India maybe, China is collapsing due to the one child policy and parents killing that child if it was a girl in order to get a son.
I'd link to Zeihan's discussion on that topic but it's exactly what got me in trouble before.
When you put it that way, it does sound like ginned-up political talk. Like, all the people in China are killing their daughters because of a draconian law and lack of freedom. It's a poor cause-and-effect relationship meant to stir emotional reaction in your "gut", very much like the type of discourse used by a popular American a three-lettered "news" agency.

Careful, I got my hand slapped when I linked one of his videos.

The U.S. birth rate has been below replacement rate for quite a while. Immigration has been responsible for keeping our population from falling.
And best I remember he attributes our demographics to that. we actually fell sharply during the gen X period and the Minimals are a much larger slice but still not above replacement without immigration. I really do not mind immigration if it is done correctly, legally and folks are properly vetted.

China is in trouble, they haven't been the largest population in several years and 60% of their population is over 45 YO.

Why does it sound ginned-up, @pontiac428 ? I mean, China currently has a huge slant toward males for the age group in question. The one-child policy was an actual thing. And all rural populations have used children as a retirement policy for, I dunno, all of human history or something like that. Why does "they did whatever was necessary to insure that the one child allowed was a male that could provide in their waning years" sound ginned-up? I'd call it reasonably expected behavior.

When you put it that way, it does sound like ginned-up political talk. Like, all the people in China are killing their daughters because of a draconian law and lack of freedom. It's a poor cause-and-effect relationship meant to stir emotional reaction in your "gut", very much like the type of discourse used by a popular American a three-lettered "news" agency.
They, China, have admitted to over counting their population by 1.2 million over their last census...

Why does it sound ginned-up, @pontiac428 ? I mean, China currently has a huge slant toward males for the age group in question. The one-child policy was an actual thing. And all rural populations have used children as a retirement policy for, I dunno, all of human history or something like that. Why does "they did whatever was necessary to insure that the one child allowed was a male that could provide in their waning years" sound ginned-up? I'd call it reasonably expected behavior.
And to carry on the family name.

Back