Yes or no? Mostly for fun discussion

psychodelicdan

Active User
Registered
This one is directed mainly toward the folks who have been doing this stuff we do for a long time. Im looking for straight up answers. Not opinions. I have plenty enough opinions of my own. A simple yes or no with maybe a bit of a story to go with it. ( there's always time for stories) I've been around this stuff in some capacity for thirty years. I suppose I should make his a poll but I have no idea how so here it is. The question is about gloves. Have "YOU" ever seen someone wearing latex / nitrile gloves while operating a machine get injured because they were wearing them? Such as you might get wearing leather gloves. Things like snags, slips, dropped. So guys what have you seen?
Dan

Master of unfinished projects

No I have not. But I never wore them as I view those who did as, as they didn't want to be here working or getting dirty.

Not yet. I've been around this stuff for about 50 years. I don't use any kind of gloves around machinery.

i also have not. . . tuff hands = mans hands oops that was an opinion, sorry

NO

But I work in a small eng shop. Half our guys wear them other half dont. I only wear them working on hydro pumps, the oil tasts bad with lunch! LOL

I use them when repairing stuff, I think they are the best and trust me I'm not afraid to get dirty .....But I don't use them when using the lathe....They might give you confidence you should not have .....or......
you have more of a chance with a shark than a machine!

No
You can stop reading now.

or

But because i'm stubborn and opiniated you get one anyway... I dont think examination gloves would possess the strength to pull you into a machine. Maybe melting hot rubber would be a concern.

Cheers Phil

I only wear latex/nitrile gloves when packing bearings with grease. The only other gloves I wear in the shop are for welding.

I thank you all for your participation. I also don't care for gloves. A must for welding. I have tuff hands as well. But! If I wish to ever touch swmbo I must take care of them. It's no good when your touch causes pain. :)

Master of unfinished projects

No- I cant do the glove thing. No can do. gloves for snow shovels gloves for welding thats it. Oh getting my cat when he's POed.
calipers, mics I depend on feel, eyes no good. Just like back in the day in the shop my friend totally blind was a cracker jack setting
valve lash on V8 Ford flatheads. Any one knows about these, without adj lifters that was 8hr job even if you were good. His fingers
were micrometers in the flesh. True story.
sam

Back