Yet Another Lathe Wiring Issue/ Question

lowlife

Registered
Registered
I have a Enterprise el2 lathe I am trying to wire up.
I have a Hitachi wj200 VFD
The enterprise has a 2 speed motor. I had to guess which wires were the high speed by tracing them from and to the high speed switching contacts so I think I am probably correct in my estimation of which wires are which. The motor will turn very slowly.

Hopefully enough background now to the issue. When I run the VFD it goes to 11 hz and stops. If I continue for about 30 secs or so it will pop a code. I cant remember the number off the top of my head but it was due to a user parameter set number

I went over my programming multiple times and can find no errors. Now D002 which monitors current goes to 16 which I assume if correct is way over what the VFD is designed for and the motor in high speed is rated for roughly 9 amps.

I believe I either have the wrong 3 wires picked for the high speed or I may have a defective motor. I have no knowledge of how to ohm a 3 phase motor to see if anything is shorted. The motor will turn over slowly however as I stated earlier. Any other things I could have missed? Thanks JK

In addition I have no idea how many poles are on the motor I put 4 briefly tried 6 with no luck> It is not listed on the motor

Ok so 15 minutes later I went out and for grins flipped the switch. It works and draws 5 amps which seems a bit low for even the low speed amp draw listed on the motor. Does anyone have a wiring diagram. I'm lost w/o it? I might just go buy a 3hp 3ph single speed motor just for piece of mind.

I'm going to go out to the skid loader now, I k now what I'm doing there so I can increase my self esteem!!!!!!

Also I have no idea how to operate a lathe. What is the lever on the end of the keyed bar do? (the one that runs parallel to the lead screw) It is connected to 2 micro switches. Will I need to do anything with that as well once its up and running..............Now wheres that skid loader.............

Ok WTH? It runs when I put the programming into D002 and turn the switch on. It draws 5 or so amps. When I go back to monitoring Hz it goes to 11 and no further. Screw the skid loader this is going to require the backhoe!!!!! Maybe if I hit it hard enough it will cooperate!

if i read correctly the display is reading 11hz,
11hz is very low and may be overheating the temp sensor in the vfd.
most motors in north america are designed to run on 60hz when used conventionally without a vfd.
the vfd as the name implies, varies the frequency (Hz) of output. at 11 hz you are roughly 1/6 of normal op frequency.
that's ok for short periods of time, but the motor temperature will increase due to low air flow.
if you were to program for 60 hz and try again, your results may be quite different.

I suspect that the high speed is wired as a 2 pole, and the low speed is wired as a 4 pole. I'm not sure if this will help or not.

Put it back the way it was and run the output of the VFD into the switch just like any 3 phase supply. Just don't try to change speeds while it's running.

Mr Dawson. So what you are saying is program 2 poles into the VFD

Jim18 I tried that originally maybe not correctly. I wired it directly to the main switch, turned it on, and put the 2 speed switch into the high position then took off both handles so they would stay in that position. There are 2 relays that need to be "pulled in" for forward and for reverse. I was concerned that would qualify as "The VFD doesnt like switches between it and the motor. I never tried it for that reason.

U Dr. Everything is set at 60 Hz near as I can tell. I have the same exact VFD for my mill. While it did give me fits I eventually figured it out with help. I spose I could have missed something. Not unusual for me. Will check again.

I thought you just had a drum switch between the input and the motor. I guess you disconnected all the control relays and contactors between the VFD and the motor? IS there a data plate on the motor?

Mr Dawson. So what you are saying is program 2 poles into the VFD
Maybe that would help, but I'm not sure. Do you have a wiring diagram on the motor? It might be helpful.

No, trying to locate any information on an enterprise lathe is impossible. Not even nearly impossible. They still make parts for it in India, but when I contacted them they kept trying to sell me parts and had no apparent interest in a manual or they didnt have one, or there was a large communication issue. I will mess with it for a while but there comes a time when I will just get a different motor.

Back