Yet Another Lathe Wiring Issue/ Question

As far as replacement motors go I would like a single speed 1800 rpm. I assume 1750 would be okay if significantly cheaper? Under 10A. And the same bolt mounting pattern. Anything I am missing here? Thanks again.

A typical 1800 RPM @60Hz (nominal) actually turns at somewhere between 1725 and 1750. This is due to the internal slippage in the magnetic flux. So you will find most 4-pole motors rated at 1725-1750.

Thanks I believe this is a good option. I need to go find the shaft dia and base # and will order one up. Not that we are done yet because have the uncanny ability to screw stuff up I want to thank everyone. Hopefully i can contribute something someday. I doubt it will be about machining except the way not to do something, but thats ok too.

1750 -1800 pretty much the same motor. 1800 RPM rating is before you take into account the "slip" that the motor needs to run. Is one of the switches you show a speed switch? The contactors in the second picture are for forward and reverse. U-V-W appear to be power in and R-S-T to the motor. Forward connects U - R, V-S, W-T, reverse connects U-T, V-S, W-R.

The longer of the switches in the first pic is the off, low, high switch. I have bypassed everything and gone directly to the motor though I may not have the proper 3 wires. I have it connected in the top left of the 2nd pic. unfortunately I did not catch it in the photo. I will have to get a better pic thats shows how I connected it. I think the wires that came off the high switch are 1,a,b,c. I bypassed that and went straight to the motor. I will get a better pic if that helps.

No I was wrong I remember taking the wires directly off the main which was the first component and running it to the wires that ran from the high speed switch which was the last thing in the wiring. Now I'm wondering whether I did connect it right?

I removed A cover off of the motor and found this. I am confused by this. An help?

Speed_____Lines to____Short_____Open
Low ______A1,B1,C1____----- ____A2,B2,C2
High_____A2,B2,C2___A1,B1,C1___--------

Here is the way I read it:

Speed_____Lines to_________________Short_____Open

Low ______A1,B1,C1 (Connect to power)____----- ____A2,B2,C2 (Connect to nothing)

High_____A2,B2,C2 (Connect to power)___A1,B1,C1 (Connect together)

Thanks for your prompt reply. Connect all 3 to each other? I assume this is correct just need to be 100% sure. I did not do this previously. All I did was connect ABC2. Sounds good will try to get to it today. I'm out nothing if it doesn't work.Thanks again.

Yes, connect all three (A1,B1,C1) to each other. That's the way I read it.

Connect the 2s to power and short the 1s together. That's a consequent pole 2 speed motor. Reverse any two power leads if it turns backward.

Back