Yet Another Logan Lathe!

try this...sorry i forgot i had it in my contact list guess its a bit late now... jayhawkman35@hotmail.com
I think I have that email also. Its all good though, thanks.

I have an issue maybe someone can clarify. I don't think I have the right QCTP. I was under the impression that I needed a #100 AXA. The one that was purchased for me said it is a #100 AXA for 9-12" Swing Wedge Type. My issue is.. I started putting tools in the holders. Even at the lowest possible placement on the QC and holder, tool is still above the center-line of work piece. It's obviously not gonna work that way, any ideas?

I will try and get some pics uploaded shortly.

If it makes any difference, the carbide insert tools are 1/2"

Well, it may not help much but the AXA or 100 Series of QC's, although they will just barely hold 1/2" square tooling, were designed for 3/8" square. Note how in your third photo, the 1/2" cutter sticks out from the side of the 102 holder. And although the three photos aren't taken so as to allow determining it, if you check the locations of the four tapped holes for the screws that hold down the cutters, you should find that the center line of the holes is about mid-way between 3/16" and 1/4" from the vertical surface that forms the back of the tool holder slot. So that the center of the screws can bear near the center-line of 3/8" square cutters and 1/2" boring bars. Going to 3/8" square cutters and cutter holders will lower the cutters 1/8" and might be just enough to get them on center.

And besides, 3/8" cutters and cutter holders are usually quite a bit cheaper than 1/2".

Well, it may not help much but the AXA or 100 Series of QC's, although they will just barely hold 1/2" square tooling, were designed for 3/8" square. Note how in your third photo, the 1/2" cutter sticks out from the side of the 102 holder. And although the three photos aren't taken so as to allow determining it, if you check the locations of the four tapped holes for the screws that hold down the cutters, you should find that the center line of the holes is about mid-way between 3/16" and 1/4" from the vertical surface that forms the back of the tool holder slot. So that the center of the screws can bear near the center-line of 3/8" square cutters and 1/2" boring bars. Going to 3/8" square cutters and cutter holders will lower the cutters 1/8" and might be just enough to get them on center.

And besides, 3/8" cutters and cutter holders are usually quite a bit cheaper than 1/2".

The post and holders were bought as a set, this set.

I see what you are sayin.. TY! I found a punch in my toolbox with a 3/8" square handle and put it in the tool holder. With the tool holder sitting on the compound it is a bit below the center-line. The 1/2" shank set is on the way back to store already. As soon as the refund is processed I will order the 3/8" shanked set.

This last bit confused me until I re-read it a few times, just to clarify... Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.
3/8" cutters and cutter holders are usually quite a bit cheaper than 1/2".
You were meaning 3/8" shank carbide insert holders are cheaper then the 1/2" type, right?

I think I have that email also. Its all good though, thanks.

I have an issue maybe someone can clarify. I don't think I have the right QCTP. I was under the impression that I needed a #100 AXA. The one that was purchased for me said it is a #100 AXA for 9-12" Swing Wedge Type. My issue is.. I started putting tools in the holders. Even at the lowest possible placement on the QC and holder, tool is still above the center-line of work piece. It's obviously not gonna work that way, any ideas?

I will try and get some pics uploaded shortly.

The AXA tool post is the correct size for a Model 200, but if you want to use 1/2" tools it's a problem. Remember, these machines
were designed with lantern tool posts in mind, not QC tool posts. The compound on the Logan sits a bit high as a result.
I had exactly the same problem with my 200, so I used 3/8" tools initially. My long term solution was to machine a solid mount
that replaces the compound but is not as tall. So, unless I need the compound, which isn't very often, I can use 1/2" tools. When
the compound is needed, I use 3/8". The bonus of the solid mount is that it's much more rigid than the
set up with a compound. This was not a simple solution of course but well worth the effort.

IMG_0276.jpg

Last edited:
This last bit confused me until I re-read it a few times, just to clarify... Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.

You were meaning 3/8" shank carbide insert holders are cheaper then the 1/2" type, right?

Yes, but even more generally, 3/8" square brazed carbide cutters, and for that matter, 3/8" square HSS blanks. I should have prefixed the statement with some weasel words like "for the same quality." ;)

just curious well were on the subject here.... would he be able to use the half inch cutters if he used the axa extra deep holders? since he already has a set. not sure why the regular ones can be had on amazon for free shipping but these xl ones cant

xl axa

The extra deep holder I have is higher at the top, so no gain on tool height.

Back