[4]

Yet Another Logan Lathe!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
Hey everyone, I am in the process of a deep clean/rehab of a new to me 1941 Logan 200 stamped# "11107" on tail-stock end and "C 10 7" under head-stock. Anyone know what the stamping under the head-stock is? Oct 7th maybe? Maybe the "C" stands for a facility or shift? Were the serials sequential?

I have plenty of other toys, mostly for woodworking and mechanic-ing but this is my first lathe (wood or metal) and I have always wanted one. Seems like another good way to lose a digit. This one kinda fell in my lap from a customer of my brothers wanted some garage sqft back. I bought it sight unseen, he turned it on and showed my brother it spun (he wouldn't know the difference between a lathe and a sewing machine). It also came with a bunch of its original stuff I think. Steady rest, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, 2 face plates, collets w/the tube part w/wooden handle, 11 change gears, 2-3 Jacobs chucks & a bunch of other crap, lol. I'm sure I am missing pieces tho.. It also came with a 30gal parts washer that a smarter man would have used to clean the lathe parts.. All the above for $150 delivered, by my brother.

I didn't even install the motor, I just started cleaning. It was so bad I couldn't look at it. I have the machine apart, mostly cleaned and an starting the reassembly. I am not painting the machine, just a good cleaning. It was covered in filth so bad I had to soak parts in diesel to remove the crud. It had a mangled cross-feed screw on the handle end so I Fleabayd a replacement. I'm sure I am going to have "issues" the community might help me with and maybe in turn somebody else will find it useful.

I have the head-stock partially reassembled at this point. Backgear shaft and gears, spindle, cone pulley & the shift lever assembly that changes the lead-screw rotation are all back on and the head-stock is mounted back on the bed. I'll get some pics and upload them soon.

Here are some pics of the disassembly!

Attachments

Old junk

Steady rest worth the price alone ,nice project.glad to see someone saving the old stuff from the scrappers.

Lordbeezer

Non-Supporting Member
Non-Donating Member
You did real good....welcome to the forum..

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
6of1, you came to the right place to find help and encouragement.

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice score. I hope you got the tailstock with it.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
You got a great deal on your lathe! Be sure to ask questions as they come up and welcome to the Forum.

RandyM

Staff member
Thank you for sharing. Looks like a lot of happiness is in your future.

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks guys! I joined up here at HM because there seems to be plenty of helpful Logan owners, last forum I went to doesn’t even have a Logan section.

Nice score. I hope you got the tailstock with it.
Yup I did, for some reason it was one of first parts off and on the floor when it got here so it didn’t get pictured.

I am going to attempt to update y’all with my phone, I apologize in advance if the pics are rotated or upside down & typos.

I had a few hiccups yesterday putting the headstock back together. It took 2 or 7 tries to get the back gear eccentric shaft back in. Don’t ask me how I did it.

Next was the main bearing. I hope I got it greased enough. I couldn’t get it off the spindle, was afraid of damaging it. So packing it by hand was my only option. I wanted to try vacuum packing the grease but couldn’t with it on the spindle. When I removed the dust covers they were packed full of grease like peanut butter. So I did my best to repack them like they were but with a modern grease. If this keeps me up at night it’s not that difficult to pull the spindle back out.

First real “wtf” moment while reassembling was the retaining bracket for the Fwd/Rev lever. Every time I would tighten the two screws I couldn’t shift the lever. All I can think of is there was a spacer/shim under that bracket and I lost it in the cleaning. I made a new one out of three layers of coke can. (See pic 2) Works good now and doesn’t wobble.

Got the lead screw cleaned and reinstalled which was uneventful thankfully. Today I think I will work on the apron & saddle.

Attachments

Briney Eye

Welcome to the Model 200 Club. Looks like good original paint under the dirt. I've had mine for about a year-and-a-half. They're great little lathes within their limitations. I've been having all kinds of fun with it.

How did you clean the spindle bearing before repacking it? The old grease in mine was almost crumbly, so I soaked it in Pine-Sol overnight and flushed it really well, repacked it with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease, reassembled it with a 40" serpentine belt, and it's been working great.

I'm in the process of setting mine up with an electronic lead screw to easily do any kind of thread pitch and not have to mess with the change gears. I keep "refining" the code and putting off mounting up everything on the lathe, but other than feeding to a shoulder everything is implemented and I don't think I can put it off much longer. So watch this space if you think you would be interested in doing something similar to yours.

ACHiPo

First, welcome.
Second, fantastic score!
Third, :you suck:(but I mean that in the nicest of ways--I spent a LOT more than that on mine)

Last edited:

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
How did you clean the spindle bearing before repacking it? The old grease in mine was almost crumbly, so I soaked it in Pine-Sol overnight and flushed it really well, repacked it with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease, reassembled it with a 40" serpentine belt, and it's been working great.
Since I couldn't remove the bearing from the spindle shaft it was a process.. Wish I took more pics but my hands were filthy and going in my pocket for phone wasn't happening. Mine was about like you are describing, crumbly very thick and it was PACKED in there. When I say packed I mean from aluminum cover (inside) to bearing end cap (part with 3 screws) it was FULL, NO air space. The rear bearing was the same, FULL.

As for the cleaning, the Main bearing and spindle were soaked in a coffee can of fresh diesel. I would let it soak for an hour, take it out and blast the crud out with air chuck, then repeat. After doing this about 6 times it seemed pretty clean so I sprayed it down with brake cleaner and let it dry over night.

I then got extremely hung up on what grease to use, came to my senses and said screw it. According to some internet guru, any modern NLGI grade 2 is 10,000x better then the peanut butter I washed out of it. Had the wife stop at NAPA (auto parts not wine) and grab me a tub of Sta-Lube Wheel Grease.

Packing the main bearing is the part I'm nervous about. I smeared it in from both sides and did all I could to get it all the way through but its not very easy when still installed on the spindle. I then added a bunch of grease to the inside of the head-stock and installed the keyholed aluminum cover and tapped in the main. Grease evacuated the inside aluminum cover like a play-doh toy, I assume this means its full. I also put a fair amount of grease on the inside of the End Cap before screwing it down, which also oozed out. Followed by tapping on the grease seal.

I'm in the process of setting mine up with an electronic lead screw to easily do any kind of thread pitch and not have to mess with the change gears. I keep "refining" the code and putting off mounting up everything on the lathe, but other than feeding to a shoulder everything is implemented and I don't think I can put it off much longer. So watch this space if you think you would be interested in doing something similar to yours.
That sounds very interesting, threading is something I will want to do. Not looking forward to changing gears to do it though. I do wish it was a QCGB model but beggars cant be choosy, lol.. I wish it had a QCTP, just the lantern post for now.

First, welcome.
Second, fantastic score!
Third, :you suck:(but I mean that in the nicest of ways--I spent a LOT more than that on mine)
Its OK, I'm sure I will make up the difference in parts I break due to stupidity or medical bills... :grin:

Update: I got the saddle and apron assembled so far, Had to run to Lowes for jam nuts. The cross-slide on this lathe had a mangled lead-screw (see pic). The new one I fleabayd didn't like the jam nut I had so rather then play with it I just bought new ones for $1.07. They didn't have stainless so I got zinc coated and they are the shiniest part on the lathe so far, lol.

Attachments

Nogoingback

I looks as though your lathe is cleaning up nicely. I don't think you need to worry about not having enough grease in the spindle
bearing: you may find that as it heats up some of it will run out since you packed it so full. After all, wheel bearings on cars aren't
usually packed full. Is the bearing smooth?

At the price you payed for all that stuff you got a tremendous deal, which gives you a little headroom if you have to spend a little
$$$ to get it up and running.

ACHiPo

Its OK, I'm sure I will make up the difference in parts I break due to stupidity or medical bills... :grin:
Come to think of it, you paid half what it cost me to recover from crashing mine! Yeah, it'll all even out.;)

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
Is the bearing smooth?
Yup! Feels smooth to me.

Come to think of it, you paid half what it cost me to recover from crashing mine! Yeah, it'll all even out.;)
What part did you kill so I can try and avoid it, lol..

Update:
Well I had another hiccup yesterday. After installing the saddle, apron and cross-slide I tried to install those 2 new jam nuts and handle but it wasn't happening. This is the used screw I got online. The previous owners set screw for the handle boogered up the threads at the key-way (a keyed handle would have made more sense). Thought maybe I could just chase them with a die but that didn't work. Took it all back off and removed the screw to look at the threads. I had to clean them up with a file before I could install the nuts.

Here's some pics of where I'm at! I am going to try and get all the extra crap laid out on the floor and take a pic so you guys can tell me what the hell I have and whats missing..

Attachments

Nogoingback

You're talking about the cross feed shaft and handle, correct? On my 200, the handle has a pin in it that acts the same
way as a key, preventing the handle from rotating on the shaft. Yours has a set screw?

Briney Eye

I'm amazed that the original tailstock wrench stayed with the lathe. AND the dauber!

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
You're talking about the cross feed shaft and handle, correct? On my 200, the handle has a pin in it that acts the same
way as a key, preventing the handle from rotating on the shaft. Yours has a set screw?
Yup, and by the looks of the screw I got from fleabay it had the same setscrew and 2 jam nut setup. I tried my best to center it in the key way so it doesn’t do more damage. Hopefully the handle won’t need to be removed any time soon.

I'm amazed that the original tailstock wrench stayed with the lathe. AND the dauber!
All this crap came with it too but I think I’m missing pieces for the 2 smaller faceplates. Isn’t there a dog leg or something that rides in the U shape to hold the part being machined? A few of these live centers are far from alive. I will have to try giving them a soak and see if they start spinning again. A few things I have no idea what they are. I have to admit my favorite part might be the old metal milk crate it all came in, lol.

Attachments

Chuck K

Active User
I see what looks like 3C collets which makes sense. What are the larger collets in the pic? I can't seem to enlarge the pic on my phone to see a closeup.

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
I see what looks like 3C collets which makes sense. What are the larger collets in the pic?
I dont know why the pics cant be zoomed in, they are huge on phone.. I am uploading them directly from the iphone. Maybe its converting them?

No idea, I was wondering myself. I am assuming they were for his milling machine (said he sold that years ago) bc I can’t find a way to mount them on the Logan. I think they fit together like in pic (both are keyed). I think the milling machine is also where the hold down set is from..

The last pic of random parts I have no clue. Mixture of homemade stuff weird square rock and a plumbob, lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

ACHiPo

What part did you kill so I can try and avoid it, lol..
I was finishing the side of a large cylinder mounted to a face plate (i.e. the saddle was VERY close to the headstock), focused on the quality of cut, when I heard a crunch. Yep, there is no clutch in the power feed, and I stripped 3 gears in the quick change gear box. The good news is that replacement gears are available. The bad news is that it cost $300 for 3 gears. Definitely a learning experience!

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
It’s ALIVE! It spins and other then the drive unit being a bit noisy seems to be working. He did tell me the motor was rebuilt 2 years ago so I hope it out lives me.

Well I got anxious and decided to get the motor and drive thrown on. I don’t think it’s installed correctly, meaning the way it’s mounted to the headstock (see pics). It was obviously “re-engineered” at some point. The hinge parts bolted to headstock are backwards for some reason and these bronze spacers have been made. Also the bolts are sloppy loose in the holes. Like 1/2” hole with 1/4 bolt loose.

So maybe the first thing I will be making is delrin or nylon bushings?
Anyone like to ponder a guess as to why this modification was made? Cause I can’t think of one.

Also I think the lathe was stored for a few years at some point in 2 different locations. The level of patina (nice way of saying rust) on the drive cover and the lathe itself are night and day different.

I have added a pic of the change gears that were in the crate. What is a full set? Sizes?

As always thanks guys for your help

Attachments

Chuck K

Active User
There should be pins with rubber dampeners that hold the drive unit on. You can see the hole for the set screw that secures the pin in the pic.

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
Ok I think I know why it was re-engineered at some point and also why the patina on the drive is different then the lathe.

My lathe originally used the LA-16 drive box (see pic 1). It had bosses built in and the hinge on lathe were setup like mine.

My drive box is version LA-16-2 (see pic 2). In this version the bosses are removed and the hinges are flipped 180 to mine.

So for now I guess I will just make a 3D printed bushing to fill the difference between the 3/8” bolt and the 5/8” hinge hole and put back in the bronze spacers.

Attachments

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
Yay! I used the lathe to open up the 3D printed bushings I made for the drive box. ABS plastic, baby steps :grin big: they might not last but the drive box is now centered instead of wobbly.

Got it pretty much assembled, it’s in less pieces then it was when it got here. Need to get a few more odds and ends make it complete. Wipers, maybe a cross slide nut and I think a half nut set, unfortunately.

Attachments

rambin

theres a guy that makes half nuts goes by Jayhawk machine believe it was in iowa? I sent mine down he sent a rebuilt set back forget the price. but he uses brass to rebuild them...new ones from logan will be more expensive and made to the original cast iron which will just where out again.... google that name and you should find some info..i had his card here at one time...but where is now???

MBfrontier

Active User
Nice find and great price! As others have said, the tooling that came with it exceeds what you paid. You are doing a nice job cleaning it up as well. My 200 is serial no. 15012. Good luck with it and have fun.

Briney Eye

Yay! I used the lathe to open up the 3D printed bushings I made for the drive box. ABS plastic, baby steps :grin big: they might not last but the drive box is now centered instead of wobbly.

Got it pretty much assembled, it’s in less pieces then it was when it got here. Need to get a few more odds and ends make it complete. Wipers, maybe a cross slide nut and I think a half nut set, unfortunately.
Good job on the bushings. I think I got my replacements from eBay. There is what looks to be a pristine set of half nuts on eBay right now for $130 plus $7 shipping. Logan sells them new (LP-1090) for $155, and I think the shipping is about $27. It doesn't look like Jayhawk has any in stock right now (on eBay), but you might contact him and ask.

rambin

yes check with Jayhawk directly don't go buy whats on ebay... he didn't have any in stock when I dealt with him either but I sent my castings and he fixed them up fairly quickly and returned them rebuilt.. his name is mike Neville cant find his card but im sure if you google his name or the company name something will come up

6of1

Swarf
Registered Member
I messaged him via eBay, hasn’t replied yet but it’s the weekend so he might not have seen it yet.

[6]
[5] [7]