You Might Be A Hobby-machinist If.....

You brought up a sore spot with me. I life 30 miles from HF. I usedta get their flyer. And then I'd happily drive to the store only to find they were suddenly "out" of almost everything they advertised. Nope. No more. Don't need the "Harbor Freight Heartache Flyer" (HFHF) around me no more.
But I'm not out to hijack a thread so back on topic: You might be IF:

Your favorite tool is a hammer. Not because you use it the most but because it's the first tool you made.

A few years ago... the HF store closest to me had that 'issue'... then another store opened not quite as close... yet accessible.
All of as sudden... the closest store was WELL stocked... <grin>

I think, once, they were out of an item... but that was my fault... holiday weekend and waited until late on Sunday afternoon to go shop.

Now hammers... In a different life... when I was young (the dark ages)... I used a hammer the way it was designed. The co prior to CHS was a remodeling co.

1. Normal people have pictures of their family members on their smartphone. You have pictures of your machines on your smartphone.

2. You refer to your machines in the same way that normal people refer to their cars: My neighbor has a 2015 Lexus IS. I have a 1938 Cincinnati MH2.

3. You refer to the room where your machinery resides (garage, basement, etc.) as your shop.

RE: Hrbor Fright being out of stock on sale items. That's the old "Bate & Switch" tactic, designed to get you in the door, then hope you buy something else when the item you wanted is "unfortunately" out of stock.

When you have withdrawls if the Harbor Freight flier does not arrive on time...
And you keep opening your Email box... to get the newest Harbor Freight sale...

For me, it's the HGR email that comes almost daily....

ANY small plastic part/fitting that breaks on ANYTHING is an excuse spend a couple of hours in the workshop 're-engineering' a replacement out of metal (that will easily outlast the useful life of the appliance it came off)

RE: Hrbor Fright being out of stock on sale items. That's the old "Bate & Switch" tactic, designed to get you in the door, then hope you buy something else when the item you wanted is "unfortunately" out of stock.

Fortunately there's a HF store 5 miles away from me.
I have the same problem with the HF freebies. I think it's because of the feeding frenzy on the first morning of a sale. However, the manager will always inform me when the next delivery truck comes in so I can get the sale item or freebie, the flyer coupons have a reasonably long lead time before expiration, and sales are frequently repeated.

… if you walk into a room of strangers and shout “I love swarf!” and then strike up a conversation with the only person who didn’t whip out their smart phone and google “swarf”.

… if you use your mill to mix pancake batter… with a mixing tool that you made just so you could use your mill to mix pancake batter.

Tom

Back