Your best roadside tool find

Yea, to buisy and dangerous to stop in many places any more. Have seen everything from heavy duty ratchet straps to coolers but on major highways here is south Texas you take your life in you hands if you want to stop on them and try and go grab something unless it is off the side of the road, Then only if you have to. Now on some of the back roads, that would prob be a diff story but do not get to travel them that often any more.

Yep, seen many things over the years, but did not feel safe to stop for. Now, a 10 foot aluminum ladder, I took the risk for. Just had a slight bend on one of the top rails.

Speaking of 10' foot aluminum ladders, several years ago I was cruising down the road in the family mini van. I was on a six lane highway, three lanes one direction, three the other direction. Well, came up on a ladder in my lane, couldn't move over, straddled it, spit it out the back end looking like a pretzel. The guy that lost it was over at the side of the road to retrieve it, threw up his hands at me.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruising down the road today, I10, start of rush hour, Fist passed what looked like a good ratcheting tie down strap, a little later another one, a little later looked like someone started loosing part of a load of supplies. Problem was Every lane had people trying to pass anyone that was going the speed limit if not faster. Safe, now way. But makes for some fun looks from those drivers trying to miss all of it when it comes flying at them.

I found a really nice hand truck in the middle of the road about 30 years ago. I'm assuming it fell off a beer truck.

I had to do my civic duty and clear the road hazard for other drivers. I still have it :)

One of the best mechanics I ever knew (when he was sober) had a habit of leaving one or two random tools in or on everything he worked on and was always complaining about how people were always "stealing his tools." I could have filled several tool boxes just following him around.

My most unusual tool acquisition on the street was 20+ years ago while visiting Bratislava, the capitol of Slovakia. My dad was driving and I made him stop so I could pick up a pair of lineman's pliers somebody dropped in the middle of a street in town. Good old Communist era stuff, kinda plain and crude looking but long on stout! They are still in use along with a similar vintage 6" crescent wrench (Williams?) I found on a road back Stateside not too long after.

Froggie :frog:

I find tools of all sizes. Lumber 4x4 x8' , $100.00 bill plus all other denominations , no more pennies. Brand new limb lopper commercial tool. T square sockets wrenchs , screwdriver s, steel angle iron. A full tool box of tools along a roadside. Most of these finds are from rideing the roads on my wheelchair or power scooter . Just last week I found a craftsmen 4" belt sander ,, cleaned and lubed and runs great . You name it I've dragged it home. When I was 4 We found a piglet along the road my daddy caught it we had him for a couple weeks till my dad found the farmer who lost him. He never missed till my dad asked about it.

Last edited:
While riding my bike around most of the time lately, i`ve picked up a lot of lead (and non-lead) wheel weights. I have found receiver hitches with ball, and scrap metal - but nothing too amazing. The one thing that has stuck with me for more than 20 years is a pair of "new" craftsman pliers I found on a dirt road. This one stands out because it was a totally abandoned dirt road that is rarely driven, and far off the beaten path behind locked gates.

found a 6 foot stabilia level right in front of my house on the street. scratched but useable bill

Back